Red Sex Link?

feather13

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 4, 2012
southern california
Took these photos with my phone, so apologies for the poor quality. A friend gave me this hen a year and a half ago. He told me that she was a Red Sex Link, although when I Google this breed, it looks nothing like her. She's now two years old and lays an egg every single day. She was attacked by a stray husky dog last year that broke her wing and caused her to molt all over her stomach, but otherwise she is a tough, friendly, small bird who rules the roost. Do you think she's a Red Sex Link? Thanks for your help!

She definitely looks like a Black Sex Link pullet. Black Sex Links are very friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and my BSLs have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 large, brown eggs per hen per year. You should get loads of eggs from that girl. :eek:)

Thanks, all, for your helpful replies! Yes, Michael Oshay, she is an egg laying machine and by far the best egg producer we've ever had, including throughout the winter. She even laid an egg the day after she was attacked by a husky!

Thanks, all, for your helpful replies! Yes, Michael Oshay, she is an egg laying machine and by far the best egg producer we've ever had, including throughout the winter. She even laid an egg the day after she was attacked by a husky!

You're welcome. I've been very impressed by the persistence of Black Sex Links' laying in really cold winter weather. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom