Red spots on ducklings? Normal or not?

I read that's what they do before feathers come in, mine are doing the same thing and they're well taken care of and don't have too much heat.. but this is my first time having ducks so I'm not sure

I read that's what they do before feathers come in, mine are doing the same thing and they're well taken care of and don't have too much heat.. but this is my first time having ducks so I'm not sure
This is my first time as well, i examined the wings this morning and it is indeed feathers growing in, the patch is not dry or hot or cracked or anything. Its smooth with very very little white feathers coming out.

Their wings look normal. The wings seems to have less fuzz on them and after getting wet and before getting in new feathers they often look bare/ pink.
I would lower your temps tho.
By that size my ducklings didnt like it that hot.
I would lower it to 75ish and see how they do.
And do you have a section of the brooder thats a good 10-15 degrees cooler so they can cool off.
Sounds like your watching closely which is good.
1f642.png
By the time they start panting they are way too hot.
Are you adding niacin to their feed?
Between 2-5 weeks ducklings grow like crazy. And when feeding chick starter they dont get the needed niacin. So this is the age many people start seeing leg troubles. Especially in heavy breeds like pekins.
So if not i would find some brewers yeast or nutritional yeast and get started within the next day or two.
You will add 1 tablespoon per cup of feed
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Enjoy your ducklings they are adorable
1f495.png

Their wings look normal. The wings seems to have less fuzz on them and after getting wet and before getting in new feathers they often look bare/ pink.
I would lower your temps tho.
By that size my ducklings didnt like it that hot.
I would lower it to 75ish and see how they do.
And do you have a section of the brooder thats a good 10-15 degrees cooler so they can cool off.
Sounds like your watching closely which is good.
1f642.png
By the time they start panting they are way too hot.
Are you adding niacin to their feed?
Between 2-5 weeks ducklings grow like crazy. And when feeding chick starter they dont get the needed niacin. So this is the age many people start seeing leg troubles. Especially in heavy breeds like pekins.
So if not i would find some brewers yeast or nutritional yeast and get started within the next day or two.
You will add 1 tablespoon per cup of feed
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Enjoy your ducklings they are adorable
1f495.png
thank you so much! And yes i have a section for them to keep cool. And honestly I didnt know what niacin was until now, ill look into it and probably go get it tomorrow! Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom