red suusex?

Red Sussex are rare in US. They're not common even in UK. The bird in the photo does not look typey to me.
I love Sussex
love.gif
but I shouldn't go for that particular bird.

I used to have Red Sussex chicks and what I know is the legs must be white pinkish, never yellow.

Sandhill Preservation has them but you will have to cull hard because the breed takes a little work to get up to the standards like the UK types. I had four Red sussex and only two had white legs while the others had yellow legs. I culled them all and sold them to auction as mixed. It was disappointing coming from Sandhill but I know they are working on them.

Thanks for the replies ! I thought something looked very wrong with the bird he had pictured. I do not think I will get any from him. Still I could not believe the price on his chicks.

If one is going for Sussex, the only Sussex I've seen for sale in US which look like proper Sussex were from a chap in Florida who had imported his birds from Aus & I don't think he had reds.

Quote:
He has lights and they seem to have had some light brahma bred into them to give them size. I hatched some with feathered legs. Very disappointing considering the price.

Quote:
He has lights and they seem to have had some light brahma bred into them to give them size. I hatched some with feathered legs. Very disappointing considering the price.

You got to be kidding me!!!! Dont tell me somewhere in the background, they have been using the Brahma for breeding!

You got to be kidding me!!!! Dont tell me somewhere in the background, they have been using the Brahma for breeding!

That seems odd. If they were from Aus. I don't think they'd need to outcross to brahmas. If they're anything like in UK there are far more decent Light Sussex available than light brahmas.

It's all confusing. The brahmas I've seen here in US appear a good bit smaller than the Sussex or Brahmas I used to see back in EU.
hu.gif

How feathered were the legs? Was it stubs or proper feathering?​

They are,I have 15 comming from Sandhill Preservation its the only place i found that had them...
I asked if there where more pics of his red sussex...

We have the Aus. Sussex from Paul Bradshaw and they are super birds. We have Light, Buff, and Coronation and could not ask for better birds.

Back
Top Bottom