Red swollen butt

TJchickensTJ

Hatching
Aug 16, 2023
My 7 month old buff Orpington has a red and swollen butt. None of the other nine hens she’s with have it, she seems to be eating and drinking fine.

Attachments

• IMG_5981.jpeg
    IMG_5981.jpeg
    559.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5984.jpeg
    IMG_5984.jpeg
    627.1 KB · Views: 55
Welcome to BYC. Can you soak her bottom in warm water with a spoonful of Dawn? Once she is cleaned up, feel of the area to see if it is hard, soft, spongy, or tight, and try another picture. She may have a hernia, ascites (water belly,) a tumor, or pecking injury. Are they picking on her?

My 7 month old buff Orpington has a red and swollen butt. None of the other nine hens she’s with have it, she seems to be eating and drinking fi
Welcome to BYC. Can you soak her bottom in warm water with a spoonful of Dawn? Once she is cleaned up, feel of the area to see if it is hard, soft, spongy, or tight, and try another picture. She may have a hernia, ascites (water belly,) a tumor, or pecking injury. Are they picking on her?
They haven’t been picking on her, I’ll try and get that done today. Thank you!

It's due to urates in feces scalding her rear end and bottom causing feather loss, redness and inflammation. Apply Nu-Stock to the area and it will heal and prevent picking.
Shake the tube well and wear disposable gloves when applying it.
thnustock.jpg

Back
Top Bottom