Red tailed hawk killed my chicken

The only solution is to kill the hawk. As soon as they know that your yard is a feeding ground they are going to come back. I don't want to kill a hawk because its nature and that's what they do. But I'm not going to let a hawk keep coming around and killing my poultry
I totally agree. I know it's nature, but I don't have any problem killing a hawk that's killing my chickens...well except for the fact that it's "technically" illegal in VA to kill a hawk! That's one law that gets tough to uphold when it's killing your babies. Luckily, the hawk that killed mine hasn't been back around lately, but I'm sure it will show up when I let my guard down and stop looking for it. It's also illegal to kill vultures and I've had family members that have had healthy calves killed by vultures that started by plucking out the eyes of newborns. That law is a bit harder to understand than the hawks. I can see them not wanting the hawk population killed off, but these vultures/buzzards??? I know they clean up road kill and stuff, but there should be laws where farmers can at least shoot both of these when they are killing their livestock and poultry.

I otaly
I totally agree. I know it's nature, but I don't have any problem killing a hawk that's killing my chickens...well except for the fact that it's "technically" illegal in VA to kill a hawk! That's one law that gets tough to uphold when it's killing your babies. Luckily, the hawk that killed mine hasn't been back around lately, but I'm sure it will show up when I let my guard down and stop looking for it. It's also illegal to kill vultures and I've had family members that have had healthy calves killed by vultures that started by plucking out the eyes of newborns. That law is a bit harder to understand than the hawks. I can see them not wanting the hawk population killed off, but these vultures/buzzards??? I know they clean up road kill and stuff, but there should be laws where farmers can at least shoot both of these when they are killing their livestock and poultry.
I totally agree. And here in CT you can actually get a special license to kill birds and other animals of prey if they are attacking your livestock/poultry. You should look into, and the way I look at it is if you kill the hawk and don't tell anyone, no one will ever find out, it's not like its a human who has a family who would wonder where it went and call the police. Lol

I totally agree. And here in CT you can actually get a special license to kill birds and other animals of prey if they are attacking your livestock/poultry. You should look into, and the way I look at it is if you kill the hawk and don't tell anyone, no one will ever find out, it's not like its a human who has a family who would wonder where it went and call the police. Lol

We have a family of redtail hawks that live near us and the minute my girls are turned in to their big pen the hawks start circling and perching in the trees close by. Because of this we covered the fenced area with aviary netting and only let them in there when we can be outside. If we are away they are confined to their coop and hardware cloth covered run. We also have a family of raccoons that have made our yard their home and I worry about them being there because I know how savage their attacks are, but so far our only real attackers were two stray labs that terrorized the chickens for over two hours one day trying to get to the chickens in their coop and covered run. They dug under it, only to be met with a hardware cloth floor. They also tore the fencing in the big pen from the posts trying to get closer to the run and coop and dug up all the collards and other greens I had planted to make up for the lack of free ranging. I caught the dogs on the game camera and am looking for their owners, but no luck so far. It is sad that the chickens have to be confined because they are on everyone's dinner menu.

That's why I used the term "technically" illegal! LOL I haven't done it, but I know people who were losing several chickens to hawks who, basically, had no choice. What are you gonna do? Keep letting them have free meals? If they know that they have a chicken smorgasbord there, they aren't gonna leave!

We have a family of redtail hawks that live near us and the minute my girls are turned in to their big pen the hawks start circling and perching in the trees close by. Because of this we covered the fenced area with aviary netting and only let them in there when we can be outside. If we are away they are confined to their coop and hardware cloth covered run. We also have a family of raccoons that have made our yard their home and I worry about them being there because I know how savage their attacks are, but so far our only real attackers were two stray labs that terrorized the chickens for over two hours one day trying to get to the chickens in their coop and covered run. They dug under it, only to be met with a hardware cloth floor. They also tore the fencing in the big pen from the posts trying to get closer to the run and coop and dug up all the collards and other greens I had planted to make up for the lack of free ranging. I caught the dogs on the game camera and am looking for their owners, but no luck so far. It is sad that the chickens have to be confined because they are on everyone's dinner menu.
It is sad that the chickens can't enjoy themselves because of the predators. I hope you find the owners of the dogs. They shouldn't be running loose like that anyway. We are thinking about a covered, fenced in area for the chickens also.

I do not know if you were experiencing black vultures, which will sometimes predate on live animals, but turkey vultures do not. Vultures are arguably more important to our ecosystem than hawks, but most people don't see that simply because they are ugly and eat carrion. Vultures are one of the only removals of disease in the wild; when they eat old, rotting, or diseased meat (with things such as botulism), their bodies kill the diseases, and the are less likely to contaminate water supplies that other animals.. and people.. use.

It is sad that the chickens can't enjoy themselves because of the predators. I hope you find the owners of the dogs. They shouldn't be running loose like that anyway. We are thinking about a covered, fenced in area for the chickens also.

That would save your chickens from hawks (and every other predator), and the hawks. :)

I've got my answer. Colt defender pellet gun. If I see a hawk messing with my birds.

I do not know if you were experiencing black vultures, which will sometimes predate on live animals, but turkey vultures do not. Vultures are arguably more important to our ecosystem than hawks, but most people don't see that simply because they are ugly and eat carrion. Vultures are one of the only removals of disease in the wild; when they eat old, rotting, or diseased meat (with things such as botulism), their bodies kill the diseases, and the are less likely to contaminate water supplies that other animals.. and people.. use.
They are the black vultures. I know that they all have their place in the ecosystem, and I respect that. It is hard, though, to watch your or your family's animals die at the hands of a predator. I knew the risk of free ranging when I got the chickens, but it becomes more real when it happens! But hey...nature happens!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom