Jaxdrisc

Songster
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
MA
My Coop
My Coop
Doing my normal health check and saw this:

She is missing feathers in all areas, and the back near the vent looks a bit crusty. Dusted her, she began her worming treatment this a.m. with Safeguard. Mites, lice, molting?? She has never molted and is a year old. She also tends to be on the broody side. She will spend 2-4 hours on the nest until I kick her off. One other thing....I had a PDZ tray in there that she LOVED to dust bathe in. I have since removed it, but, would the PDZ dry her out and cause the redness?? Thanks for the input!

So, broody....but she comes off the nest when I make her and stays off for the day. Is that still considered "broody" even though she doesn't stay there all day? Sorry if it's a dumb question.....

They generally build up to "sitting tight" and even then will come off for periods. Since she is young, her behavior is somewhat typical.
If she doesn't have eggs to hatch, she may break broodiness. The feathers will grow back then or after a molt, which typically happens after a hatch.

It could be something else, this is just my best guess. I have lots of broodies, so to me it's normal.

Back
Top Bottom