Red Wigglers - how fast reproduce as part of feed?

This doesn't specify what kind of earthworms. It may be helpful anyway.

From This source

Attachments

• 8CCCC557-BD4E-4291-9C53-7AE089865E89.png
    8CCCC557-BD4E-4291-9C53-7AE089865E89.png
    479 KB · Views: 2
  • 32163283-5A70-4BCA-B78C-E2CD4E91C78D.png
    32163283-5A70-4BCA-B78C-E2CD4E91C78D.png
    451.7 KB · Views: 2
More info on invasive worms
Source
"..,
The northern forest evolved after the glaciers retreated, yielding an ecosystem that does not benefit from earthworms. These forests require a deep layer of slowly decomposing leaves and other organic matter called “duff” that overlays the soil. When earthworms invade these forests, they quickly eat up the duff, with the result that nutrients become less available to young, growing plants, and the soil, instead of aerating and loosening, becomes more compact. The combined effects of such developments have resulted in damage to trees such as sugar maples and to many forest herbs and understory plants, such as trillium, rare goblin ferns, trout lilies and other forest-floor species. In some areas, oak forests have been overrun by buckthorn, and in others the presence of earthworms has allowed the invasion of Japanese barberry. As duff disappears, so do the insects and other small creatures that depend on it for survival, with the result that animals such as salamanders lose a key food source and face population declines. Earthworm burrows also may speed the passage of water through forest soil, another change that might be a benefit to farmland or a garden with compacted soil but that is a negative in a northern forest.
BONUS FACT: Although eradicating earthworms in areas they have already invaded is virtually impossible in practical terms (the measures that wipe out earthworms, such as spraying with pesticides, also kill many other species), we can all help protect as-yet uninvaded ecosystems by keeping worms out of such areas. If you use earthworms for composting and live in a region near forests that have not been hit by earthworms, you can help by dropping use of the worms. Also, to avoid spreading earthworm eggs when fertilizing with composted materials, freeze your compost for at least a week before using it—freezing will kill eggs as well as the worms. If you use earthworms for bait fishing, don’t dump leftover worms onto the soil at the end of a day’s fishing. Remove them from the site, or throw them far enough into a pond that they will die before they can reach to shore. When planting new shrubs or trees in your garden or yard, examine any earth ball or potting soil for evidence of worms."

Just looked up the protein levels for compost worms and they’re crazy high, probably less chance of pollutants than using fish.
Worms include protein in the dry matter at a rate of 64.5% and 72.9%

Last edited:
Just looked up the protein levels for compost worms and they’re crazy high, probably less chance of pollutants than using fish.
Worms include protein in the dry matter at a rate of 64.5% and 72.9%

Obviously, worms aren't dry, but that's a very high percentage. I think that's why my flock does so well on compost, despite so many low-protein "treats".

@saysfaa - Interesting stuff. Really amazing how ecosystems interact. There's a lot of pressure on northern forests. Up here in the northeast, the deer, invasives, disease, caterpillars, and more are all taking their toll.

Not to mention here in Rhode Island we just had two of the biggest forest fires in recent memory, about 5 miles and 2 days apart. Combined to burn close to 1,000 acres, which is roughly 1/1000th of the state of RI.

Raising E. Fetida in compost is not difficult, if all their living conditions are met. However, I think raising enough to be a significant part of a full chicken diet would be very difficult. And yes, cold will kill them.

An alternative is to create an indoor compost bin - have open access to the outside - and you could then also raise Soldier Fly larva In the same bin. With that said, I think the best you could hope for would be to use them as a nutritious treat. This is what I do and it works well.

Raising E. Fetida in compost is not difficult, if all their living conditions are met. However, I think raising enough to be a significant part of a full chicken diet would be very difficult. And yes, cold will kill them.
It probably depends on the size of your piles and the climate you live in. I have a few very large piles, and when I dug into one in February (here in RI) there were a ton of worms.

We had a unusually mild winter, although we got snow a few times and plenty of days under freezing.

cold will kill them
I keep mine outside with a cloth over them, it was -9c for a couple of weeks here this winter and they were fine, I think the biology in their bin keeps them warm.
They’re native here in the U.K. so escapees are not an issue but if they were invasive I’d be out hunting them, you can catch loads with a battery and a couple of metal rods. I’ve found that they migrate on a full moon so you could probably clear a forest of them with a big enough magnet and a perimeter of chicken arks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom