Redcaps

Hi All

Here is a old 1910 Redcap poultry Print.
caf.gif

79674_redcaps_chicken_poultry_poultry_c1910.jpg

Redcap Farm

Quote:
Hi elias

The female Redcap has a modified spangled that is in the shape of a half-moon. The male Redcap shows what I think is the Wheaten gene, as the Redcaps are very light as chicks then very dark as adults. The Redcaps do have a color pattern all to themself.

Redcap Farm

I believe this pattern is also the color of the British Red Dorking. The American Red Dorking possesses the Standard BBR pattern.

I just finished reading through this entire thread and thought I would add in my voice. ;) Kudos to you working with the Redcaps. I had a smallish flock of around 40 birds 12 years back. Sold the entire stock when I lost my job and as a result the farm.

Hoping to get back into them next fall. It's good to see new and older breeders working them though. I wish I could have stayed in the breed, it feels like I have fallen so far behind on whats happening in the Redcap world.

If I can't get my grubby fingers on some in-progress stock to keep working on, I'll likely just purchase from Sandhill when I pick up some black Penedesenca, rumpless fowl and longcrowers.

Again, just wanted to applaud those of you working with the breed. :) Don't get discouraged with them, keep seeing the potential and working for the future.

Well, if I were going to take on a grading project with Redcaps, I think I would cross the golden pangled hamburg male over rc red dorking females, then take the most appropriate female prodigy and breed them to Saladin's Redcap males. I'd use four different males, developing four different clans that, after the series of grading could then be used to start a breeding program.

So what you are say is take a redcap rooster breed to red dorking females? then breed those to golden spangled hamburg rooster? and then take those best females and breed to a redcap male? I honestly believe that would work pretty well. Dorking would help with size, hamburg would help with comb a lil, only real issue would still be the earlobes but that could be breed out over time.

Nope. Cross Golden Spangled Hamburg males to red-earlobed RC Red Dorking hens. Hatch plenty of chicks. Cull for toes right from the start. Slaughter the males for spatch-cocked broilers at 13wks, and bbq the summer away. Raise out the females to maturily. Select for size first, ear-lobes second. This cross will eliminate comb issues.

Keep the best four females, plus a few extra for mink-bait replacers. Pair the best four females with the best four pure-bred Redcap cockerels. Each of these females marks the beginning of a matrilinear clan. From the ensuing off-spring, breed the best females back to their sires, selecting first for size, and then for type, the earlobes, then feather color. Then breed the resultant females back again, and then so forth. Just keep the size up as first concern, color will come as the color genetics tighten back to the father.

Eventually, you'll start clan breeding by leaving females in their respective pen but moving males over to other pens, never breeding males back to their pens of origin.

I bet that within a decade these would be the best Redcaps in 100 years. The problem with this is that it would require a breeder to make them his/her sole, or at least clearly primary, focus.

Last edited:
Just came home with 2 nice Dorking roos... I've been breeding the purebreds and now will start with the crosses... we'll see what's what in 5-10 years! I'm kinda excited and full of high hopes!
wee.gif
Wish

me luck and patience.

Last edited:
I decided to use the Rosecomb Dorkings because of size, the similar comb, the red ears (which have been often lost in hatchery birds), brown eggs. A Red Dorking has similar feather coloring. Drawbacks are the extra toe in the Dorking and Recaps have a much more upright stance. The Dorking is an old foundation breed too. I also found a good Dorking source near by. So this summer I am crossing redcaps to Dorkings and maintaining some purebreds. Next summer I may cross some of the crosses to each other but will mostly breed the crosses back to purebred Redcaps. In 5-10 years I might have SOP Redcaps.
I'm not really very familar with OEPF (love the way they look) but did think about using large Hamburgs.

There is the possibility of compromise through culling and weight. If you cull at 8 weeks old for weight, you can hatch out more, but only raise out the best. Besides, in Redcaps, weight is one of your greatest concerns right from the get-go.

Back
Top Bottom