Redwood Incubator - Leahy Favorite ARTICLE with Pic

Houston, we have a problem.
Bator has been running two weeks now. We added 8 dozen eggs 5 days ago ; all has been well but tonight it does not want to rise above 93 degrees. We have the two original mercury thermometers and 2 digitals in it so I am certain the temp is correct. What do we do? Has the wafer taken a dump?

My 1200 has done the same thing, and then it has done the opposite and gone to 120+. This was after a steady 99.5 for 2-2.5 weeks. My fan and heating elements are good, and I put brand new wafers in it, so I think its the old thermostat switches. I plan on redoing the t-stat system and seeing what that does.

Last edited:
I have a 1200 as well same problems
I scrapped the wafer thermostats
Replaced with digital thermostat
Set to match egg-o-meter .
So far all is good 99.3 min to 99.7 max.
Had to set my digital to 97.8 to get this. 10 days in 400 eggs ifingers crossed awaiting hatch.
If this works i would highly recomend scrapping the wafers for they are just to fickle.
Its just to simple to replace with digital.

I have just posted a sales ad in the classifieds section of BYC for a Model 416 E Leahy Manufacturing Company Favorite Incubator. Please pm me if interested in making an offer. I am located in central Virginia as a pick up location. No shipping.

Thank you.

I have a four tray Leahy incubator I'm trying to sell. Someone used expanding foam sealant on it :/ and it has a missing latch on the door and a little soft spot on the board on the bottom. Was going to restore it but just need to get it out of here and get the space back. I'm in Southern WV just south of Huntington. have a post here but its $200

I picked up my leahy redwood incubator about a year back from an elderly man that I give eggs to and ocasionally "collect cans with" it belonged to his brother who owned an antique shop who unfortunatly passed away the man said he had some chicken stuff for me and to comeover and take whatever i want my picking began at the front of a 20 foot long shed i found multiple feeders waterers lights brooders and chicken wire (80% of it was decayed into extinction) when i reached the back of the shed i seen what looked like a crate or cabinet ;) little did i know it was a cabinet "incubator" had i not ben interested in anykind of antique items i may have verywell left this behind as i began moving it out i noticed the switch on the front and investigated further i lifted thetop hatch and was immedietly enthralled seeing the waffer thermostats, i brought it home cleaned it up and plugged it in to my surprise EVERYTHING! Worked it heated up air circulated and all the drawers trays and pullout rotators were still with it. Over the last year i had to replace the fan and waffers and have hatched over 500 babies including chicks ducks geese guineas and turkeys i have sold all my other incubators and will never again touch these poorly made "high tech" models. I am completly in love with this bator as if it were my own child. Hope you all enjoy my story and really hope all that are searching for a leahy model of their own find one and save these wonderful works of art for future generations of chickens and farmers.

Looking at one listed on craigslist and wondering if it was a good price.

Leahy Favorite tabletop incubator model 65-4 $200
They say it works.
How do I evaluate?

just brought one. very good condition. probably gonna restore it and keep it. trying to get it hot so I can hatch some eggs.

Hey

Loved seeing this post. I recently acquired two Leahy Favorite incubators at a local auction. Cleaned and oiled and they are working!

Just wanted to add that you left out at least one model. Though it may have been considered commercial because of it's size. It's the 1650 and the workmanship is spectacular. The corners are not just butted, they are notched and joined. The other one is a 1200 which is pretty big as well but completely dwarfed by the 1650.

Julie

Back
Top Bottom