Reeeeeaaaaly late hatch - day 25/26 - would love to hear your stories/choices

Kaurana

In the Brooder
May 7, 2020
Hi everyone, I am a new member to the forum, although I have been reading many, many posts for a while now (thank you!) I am sorry if this is a duplicate, but I've searched and searched and could not find information for truly, reeeealy late hatches (besides a couple of very old threads that did not give a conclusive ending..!) I am looking for/could not find much information for potential hatching procedures after day 25...

Here is my story:

Due to temperature fluctuation throughout incubation, today was day 25 for us (counting from day zero!) and yesterday we still had 6 live chicks in the eggs (they were certainly moving!) We had 2 pip yesterday and hatch out today, thank Goodness! (but one needed a nudge of help to fully unzip.) then, 2 other eggs (fully developed chicks inside) were dead today - they seemed shrink wrapped, even though my humidity is 70-75%... but I did open bator yesterday to check for any signs of life as I could not hear any sounds at all...

My main question is: there were 2 eggs/chicks who drove me crazy all morning today because I was not sure if I should help or not... they were alive for certain, but no pip - nothing at all!! I decided to open a pip hole to get fresh air into the air sac area just in case they had an internal pip and needed more time. I found they were certainly alive, but no internal pip either - but now, day 25!, should I still "let them do their thing!?!?" or do you try to free up the nostrils if they have not pipped at all at this point!?

In full disclosure, the issue itself is done and in the past... I tried to find their nostrils and of course I lost them... They did not bleed to death (I was very careful), but their beaks were still sitting very low into their bodies (one in the correct position, under wing) and I had to remove a lot of shell to get to the nostrils - I think they died of "exposure" even though I wrapped them in warm moist paper towels. They had still not absorbed the egg sac, of course. And, if they were to survive, I am positive they would have needed at least another whole day in the egg - there were many veins exposed and a full yolk (again, they had not even pipped!)

Now, I knew this was very likely going to be a disaster - I was sad, but not at all surprised for losing them - but I thought they would drown or be shrink wrapped in there anyway if I did not try - I thought they were "stuck", unable to turn to pip... (remember, this is day 25!!!)

Now reading more (and more, and MORE!) about helping, I have read that if they have not pipped, they will most certainly die if you try to help as their yolk sac has not been absorbed (but is this advice still valid no matter how late they are?? I mean, can they still twist and successfully pip out as late as day 25-27!? Will they by that point be too big to hatch, or have other issues with dry membrane, etc!?)

I guess I am trying to gauge, for the future, could they still have hatched if I had left them alone!? (Please don't worry about offending me or upsetting my sentiments! I really would like to learn here!! I knew I was possibly doing the wrong thing, but at the same time some opinions say that that late in the game, they are doomed anyway and assisting could be the only chance - THIS is what I am trying to understand...) How long can they ultimately take to hatch? If no pip, do you still leave them alone at day 26!?

I did check them after death and found the green (excrement?) sac quite large... would they have died of infection? HOW does a very late chick actually, ultimately, die? Suffocated!? How can one tell if the chick is having trouble pipping or is just taking her time [please answer WITH THE CONTEXT that this is DAY 25!!! I know we are supposed to leave them alone and not help in normal circumstances!] (should we even try to help when at day 25-26 and they are clearly alive but no pip? Did anyone manage that!? OR do we leave them be? Will they just die, regardless, at this point??)

I would love to know your experiences of any hatches over DAY 24 and what decisions you made, etc, etc, etc!!
Thanks!!
Thais

I probably would have done the same thing so do not feel too bad about what happened. By day 25 I would have been going nuts. That is a very late hatch!

At that point something was very wrong and I do not think they would have hatched. I imagine it was probably a mixture of both average temp too low throughout the entire incubation period and also humidity too high. You mentioned that it was high at the end which is good, but if it is too high during the entire incubation the eggs do not have enough moisture loss and will not be able to hatch. That is a possibility from what you are describing.

I have never had a hatch that late, so I am not sure if they would even be able to. It depends on a lot of circumstances as to why they did not hatch on time.

I had one lonely hatch out on day 24 without assistance from me, the yolk was gone and it has curled toes i am trying my best with no experience in this, it doesn't drink except from a syringe won't eat but just a very few nibbles. I have been giving vitamin b complex ground up and mixed with water now i am waiting on some poultry cell that has the riboflavin it needs to get here. Today i gave some sugar water and it took the whole syringe full usually it doesn't i'm hoping i'm not too late to help the toes. I did make some shoes hoping that it works out.

Thanks for replying guys - I am so puzzled by all this! Samuel, I had my humidity at what I believe it was 45-55%, but this was one of those REALLY crappy incubators and I actually don’t know what the correct number is...

2 of the eggs were surely shrink-wrapped, but I guess that can happen with high humidity anyhow (?). As I mentioned, I opened on day 24 to check on them...

The cause for the late hatch itself I am positive was a mix of temperature oscillating everywhere and generally too low. I tried my best, but this is just a bad machine.

This is the story:
Bator was given to me second-hand with instructions like this “oh, just place the eggs and turn it on...”. (Yeap...!!) At the time, I had no idea of anything and thank goodness for this forum - I learned so much!!!

My first batch was simply horrendous because I did not even know the eggs should be pointed “down”... you can imagine... :hit

I tried my second batch and got 2 chicks out of 11 eggs but both pipped day 24 and hatched 25 - as far as I am concerned, they were little miracles!

As much as I tried and tried to get temperature right, it would get too hot and then too cold... and again, and again!!! Finally I gave up and let it go on the cold side because I was told that is a better risk than cooking them!!! (Yikes!!)

So, anyhow, I am aware of what caused this situation (and BTW, I am NEVER using this bator again NEITHER passing it forward!!! Nobody deserves this thing...!!! I will keep it as a “nursing brooder-station“ should I ever need one, that’s all!!! To the shelf with it!!!)

But, you know, “things happen” and I think it is nice to learn and have a “plan B” if possible... we frequently have power outages where we are.. one time a window was left open at one room during Winter.. (disasters..!), so, anyhow, I figured I would try to understand how people handle these super late “alive” eggs.... it was SO hard to decide if I should open them or not...

Oh, and, Carafine, one of my chicks came out with the toes crooked outwards and I had also never done this, but made “shoes” too! It is actually already doing better because yesterday it just kept flipping backwards... and then lying there chirping unable to turn around. I would put it up and “flip”, it would immediately be belly up again...!!! At least it is staying properly now... but it is weak. I also bought vitamins today.. Makes me think that any others that might have hatched out would have had issues too...

Sincerely,
Thais
Ps: any idea how long to keep their shoes in!? I found instructions on the shoes, but no guidance on how long to leave them on...

I had one lonely hatch out on day 24 without assistance from me, the yolk was gone and it has curled toes i am trying my best with no experience in this, it doesn't drink except from a syringe won't eat but just a very few nibbles. I have been giving vitamin b complex ground up and mixed with water now i am waiting on some poultry cell that has the riboflavin it needs to get here. Today i gave some sugar water and it took the whole syringe full usually it doesn't i'm hoping i'm not too late to help the toes. I did make some shoes hoping that it works out.
Cheering for your baby!!:love How old is it!?

Back
Top Bottom