Refrigerating quail eggs

SEP Board

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2016
For the eggs that you save for eating/cooking, do you refrigerate as soon as you collect them? Do you wash them when they're for consumption? And how long do they last in the fridge either way?

Thank you.
smile.png

I treat them the same way I do my chicken and duck eggs. Place in fridge as is. Wash when you use them.
If any egg stays in the fridge for a couple weeks I do the "float" egg test. The only time I've had a floater was when a carton got shoved in back and forgotten for over a month, not sure how long, but only had 2 floaters out of the doz.

I just got a quail egg cutter and it is a dream come true.

Thank you for the reply.

I'd never heard of a quail egg cutter. I've not eaten a quail egg yet as my hens have only recently started laying and I've been saving up to incubate. Are they hard to crack open? Is a cutter necessary or just a convenience?

Thank you for the reply.

I'd never heard of a quail egg cutter. I've not eaten a quail egg yet as my hens have only recently started laying and I've been saving up to incubate. Are they hard to crack open? Is a cutter necessary or just a convenience?

I usually rinse mine then put them in the fridge, after about 2 weeks if they haven't been eaten I throw them, sometimes my dog eats them in between. We hard boil ours, peel the shell off and eat at work on lunch break :D

Thank you for the reply.

Convenience. But I usually smashed the eggs trying to crack them, Now I just snip and pour out the egg. Boiled is good, but I like egg sandwiches and they are great for egg drop soup. But instead of making the egg stringy in the soup, I just drop the egg in so they are poached in the soup. The cutter was on Amazon for around $10 I think. I'm glad I got it. OH, a friend of ours from the Philippines boils them, peels and then puts them in the soup.

Now I just snip and pour out the egg.

Hate to hijack the thread, but I gotta vent/complain.

I have a quail egg cutter and I honestly can't seem to figure it out. Hahaha. If snip partially, leaving a little flap of eggshell, that just means I snipped some of the eggwhite into the top flap of the shell and it wants to stay up in there when I try to empty the egg into the pan or bowl. If I snip all the way, I by design also snipped a chunk of egwhite completely off, and it is REALLY going to stick in the top shell. I cant seem to do it where it is any less messy than just cracking the egg normally. I also cant get the egg to "pour" out half the time. The chunk of shell cut off isn't a large enough opening to get the egg to flow out. The egg contents seem to be held in by suction. I end up shaking it like a can of cranberry jelly/sauce at Thanksgiving, trying to overcome the vacuum, and end up breaking the yolk half the time. Am I just crazy or something? Teach me your ways.

Last edited:

I have a quail egg cutter and I honestly can't seem to figure it out. Hahaha. If snip partially, leaving a little flap of eggshell, that just means I snipped some of the eggwhite into the top flap of the shell and it wants to stay up in there when I try to empty the egg into the pan or bowl. If I snip all the way, I by design also snipped a chunk of egwhite completely off, and it is REALLY going to stick in the top shell. I cant seem to do it where it is any less messy than just cracking the egg normally. I also cant get the egg to "pour" out half the time. The chunk of shell cut off isn't a large enough opening to get the egg to flow out. The egg contents seem to be held in by suction. I end up shaking it like a can of cranberry jelly/sauce at Thanksgiving, trying to overcome the vacuum, and end up breaking the yolk half the time. Am I just crazy or something? Teach me your ways.
Hey........... aren't we in the Forum to help and get help?
It could be the brand of cutter. Can't remember what brand I have, it was from China and not a single word of english.
Are you putting the egg up thru the bottom? cutting the pointy end? My cutter has a bevel on the underside of the bottom piece. I just stick the pointy end up thru that and clip the top clean off. My cutter part is a V shape. Yes there is a little white in the top, but considering the size of the egg, it's less than a drop. Then be sure to dip the cutter into water between each egg so that bits of shell don't get mixed in with the egg. I would take pics, but it takes 2 hands.. lol

I ordered one off Ebay so that I can be the first on my block to have one
lol.png
Here is a pic of the 1 I got off Amazon. We live close warehouse and my daughter goes to ASU, She gets Prime half off so I just use Amazon a lot. got it in 2 days. They are also cigar cutters, just under a different name. LOL

I have a quail egg cutter and I honestly can't seem to figure it out.  Hahaha.  If snip partially, leaving a little flap of eggshell, that just means I snipped some of the eggwhite into the top flap of the shell and it wants to stay up in there when I try to empty the egg into the pan or bowl.  If I snip all the way, I by design also snipped a chunk of egwhite completely off, and it is REALLY going to stick in the top shell.  I cant seem to do it where it is any less messy than just cracking the egg normally.  I also cant get the egg to "pour" out half the time.  The chunk of shell cut off isn't a large enough opening to get the egg to flow out.  The egg contents seem to be held in by suction. I end up shaking it like a can of cranberry jelly/sauce at Thanksgiving, trying to overcome the vacuum, and end up breaking the yolk half the time.  Am I just crazy or something?  Teach me your ways.

I am still figuring out my cutter. I snip the pointy end and I do waste a little white. I kind of hold the egg at a 45* angle and tap the egg and yolk out. It is the same trick I learned for ketchup bottles when there were bottle and not squeeze bottles. I still break an occasional yolk. I would use scissors on a boiled egg.

Back
Top Bottom