Reintegration by supervised visits ?

I reintroduced mine by first putting her in their cage when the other hens were outside of it. I figured they would get used to her scent being there before they actually saw the bird, and she would get familiar with her new location without the additional stress of the other birds.

Then I did supervised visits, and "pecked" anyone who tried to start a fight with the tip of a long, thin branch. That seemed to work.

Once there was no fighting I left them alone.
Thanks for sharing your experience. How long did it take before you saw no fighting?

Hi. I've been lurking, but your question covers what I just went through! I had two broody girls, one of whom was more than ready to go back to the flock, the other was not at all ready. The chicks are all the same age, just difference in the moms' opinions. I foolishly reintroduced poor little Rosie (who HAD to go back, because she actually killed one of her babies) and she was brutally beat up, even by my two mellowest girls. When it came time for Lady to return, though, I just let her free roam for a couple days. She always headed back to the big coop/run. Then I let the rest of the big girls roam with her. That night, they all, including Lady, went to bed in the big coop. She has been picked on just a teeny bit, but nothing bad. Rosie had to live in the least favorite nesting box for a week or so because they wouldn't let her out. Lady has the run of the place. This is the way I'll do it now. Let them free range where there is plenty of room for the odd man (chicken) out to run and plenty of cover. I know it won't necessarily always work this way, but it was so smooth this time.

So sorry about Rosie killing one of her babies, hope the rest of her brood are doing well. Glad it worked out for Lady. And hope you will be able to introduce the little ones without issues.

Wish I had the luxury of being able to let my hens free range and roam, it would be a lot easier.

Thanks for sharing your experience. How long did it take before you saw no fighting?
Actually, mine seemed to understand very quickly that I was not going to allow fighting, and gave it up. I was kind of surprised at how quickly they figured it out....let's face it, chickens are not rocket scientists
wink.png

I don't think I had to "peck" any of them more than twice, although each bird gave bickering with the new one a try. I stayed with them for maybe an hour. Then I gave them all goodies, so they had something else to think about.

I treated them the same way I do my little pack when I bring in new dogs, and it seemed to work.

Actually, mine seemed to understand very quickly that I was not going to allow fighting, and gave it up. I was kind of surprised at how quickly they figured it out....let's face it, chickens are not rocket scientists
wink.png

I don't think I had to "peck" any of them more than twice, although each bird gave bickering with the new one a try. I stayed with them for maybe an hour. Then I gave them all goodies, so they had something else to think about.

I treated them the same way I do my little pack when I bring in new dogs, and it seemed to work.
Interesting, maybe your flock are not as spoiled as mine? The main culprit, Lillie, has always been my favorite and used to be the bottom of the pecking order. With the shift in my flock and loss of her favorite buddy - Dottie was #1 and her best friend and protector. IMO she is fearful that Penny will end up above her in the order. Time out in a cage for bully Lillie helped initially, now she seems to like going in a cage so have removed the jail from the run.

I am using a water bottle spray - it does stop aggression immediately. I have been leaving the bottle in clear sight and just picking it up seems to avert aggressive moves. But Lillie looks to see where the bottle is and seems to think about her actions before she acts on her impulses. So, she is learning how to "play the game". But have not seen anything but minor skirmishes and brief confrontations this week.

I am still optimistic and will be patient in extending their time together. Yesterday we added some overhead protection to the outdoor area so we could observe more remotely and the only issues occurred when we were not immediately by the coop area. It seems the absence of treats during visitation helps more than anything else we have tried thus far. But plan to get a new flock block and make changes in their environment to increase their interest in anything other than what is Penny doing.

Interesting, maybe your flock are not as spoiled as mine? The main culprit, Lillie, has always been my favorite and used to be the bottom of the pecking order. With the shift in my flock and loss of her favorite buddy - Dottie was #1 and her best friend and protector. IMO she is fearful that Penny will end up above her in the order. Time out in a cage for bully Lillie helped initially, now she seems to like going in a cage so have removed the jail from the run.

I am using a water bottle spray - it does stop aggression immediately. I have been leaving the bottle in clear sight and just picking it up seems to avert aggressive moves. But Lillie looks to see where the bottle is and seems to think about her actions before she acts on her impulses. So, she is learning how to "play the game". But have not seen anything but minor skirmishes and brief confrontations this week.

I am still optimistic and will be patient in extending their time together. Yesterday we added some overhead protection to the outdoor area so we could observe more remotely and the only issues occurred when we were not immediately by the coop area. It seems the absence of treats during visitation helps more than anything else we have tried thus far. But plan to get a new flock block and make changes in their environment to increase their interest in anything other than what is Penny doing.
Oh, mine are pretty spoiled
wink.png

But mine are Red Sexlinks and a Buff Orpington, and they could be less stubborn. I also handled mine a lot when they were growing up, and maybe they were used to me telling them what to do.
I can see how a water bottle would work....I've used that with dogs, too. My coop is under a big mulberry tree, so I always have sticks readily available, and don't have to remember to bring anything with me. At my age that's a plus.
big_smile.png

It does sound like what you are doing is working with yours, and that is the ultimate test, isn't it?

Oh, mine are pretty spoiled
wink.png

But mine are Red Sexlinks and a Buff Orpington, and they could be less stubborn. I also handled mine a lot when they were growing up, and maybe they were used to me telling them what to do.
I can see how a water bottle would work....I've used that with dogs, too. My coop is under a big mulberry tree, so I always have sticks readily available, and don't have to remember to bring anything with me. At my age that's a plus.
big_smile.png

It does sound like what you are doing is working with yours, and that is the ultimate test, isn't it?

The water spray idea came from Mutt Farm, before that I was trying shaking a can of marbles - it stopped everyone in their tracks. But the water spray stops only the aggressor and they really hate it. May have to make a holster for the spray bottle so I can keep it close :)

The water spray idea came from Mutt Farm, before that I was trying shaking a can of marbles - it stopped everyone in their tracks. But the water spray stops only the aggressor and they really hate it. May have to make a holster for the spray bottle so I can keep it close :)
I had one really stubborn foster dog who was a bad barker. I bought a super soaker and when she started spinning and barking I could nail her from thirty feet away.
wink.png

Wish me luck, the gals have been visiting for 3 hours now and only minor pecking order stuff during the first hour. Even took a treat tray in today and only the usual pecking order stuff.

Planning to leave the cage open and see if Penny will try to join them in their coop tonight. Will let her decide. But if she does, I will be out there before dawn just in case.

This photo was taken about 30 minutes ago, all 4 of the flock in close quarters with no problems yet. Penny is the lighter colored BO. Only a week ago I would not have believed this.
yippiechickie.gif

Hope I wasted my money on the little coop in foreground, was planning more permanent separation of the protected run for her this weekend. If things work out, can just put that in storage.

Back
Top Bottom