Reintroducing Injured Bird to Flock

Red Star

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 4, 2007
First, I want to thank all of you for your so very helpful posts on how to help an injured bird!

One of my Buffs got attacked by a bird of prey - I actually saw it happen so I ran out with my gun - bird of prey ran off and my buff was still breathing, though bloody. Turned out she had a few cuts to her comb/eye and two 2 inch open rips out of her skin on her back and all the back feathers gone - surprisingly, nothing "serious" (like organs) seemed to be punctured though she was in shock and couldn't walk right. I think my Buff was so feathery that the bird of prey had to spend too much time with feather removal! He never did get any satisfaction . . .
wink.png

After much diluted peroxide, saltwater washes, and lots of homemade salve, she is fully recovered and her feathers are now regrown such that she is warm and no skin/scabs are showing.

Now, I have put her back with the others but they will not let her in the coop, near the feeders, etc. and they are so mean!! It's amazing how mean they are . . . and how bully-able my Buff is.

Of course all this one-on-one time with Buff has made it so that she wants to follow me around and hide behind my pant legs and she doesn't want to "be" a chicken! She waits by the front door or the pen door and seems to spend all her time avoiding the other chickens/guineas.

How long should I expect this? It has been 4 days.

I feel bad that she is now an outcast after being separated from the flock for several weeks.

Thanks for any help!

Do you have some way of putting her in the coop but protected where the others can see her but not get to her? A cooler or dog crate with hard wire. She will need her own water and food dish but it is important for them to be able to see and hear each other without touching. It may take some time since she has been gone from the group for so long. After things seem to quiet down try getting them together again. There will be upset of the pecking order but as long as there is no blood let them work things out. Good luck.

I agree with Maine. The other hens have to be able to see her, so they can get used to her being around. Something like a wire cage with not-too-big holes. Don't be afraid if there's some squabbling. They just have to get over it. And don't bring her back in and back out over and over. Just makes it worse.

Thanks, ya'll.

She is not really getting injured by any of the others, just totally shunned. I think I would do the "separate but visible" idea if she were getting hurt by them, so I will keep watching to see how it goes.

She just waits till all the others are in the coop and on their perches before sneaking in and settling down for the night. But all day she can only hide under the coop and run out for a nibble when the others are distracted.

I think I'm just emotionally bothered by the whole thing! I just want things to be back to normal and for her to not keep having to "pay" for getting attacked by a predator, kwim?

Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom