releasing bobwhite quail

pigeoner

Chirping
Dec 2, 2017
OH
i wanted to do a project for my 12th grade project and i was wondering if i could release them? i want to properly raise release them under the the most natural environment so they will be ready for the wild. also i was wondering if it is illegal??????:confused::idunno

i wanted to do a project for my 12th grade project and i was wondering if i could release them? i want to properly raise release them under the the most natural environment so they will be ready for the wild. also i was wondering if it is illegal??????:confused::idunno
Not sure. I raise bobwhite but I don't release any. Where do you live?

You'll have to check your states fish and game laws, I imagine some do.
Our state actually supplies ring neck pheasants to those who want to release them.

You can not release bobwhite quails bred in captivity. To own Bobwhite types, you must have a specific permit. Releasing captivity bred quails into the wild is illegal. It's best to call your states fish and game office and find out more. Bobwhites bred in captivity loose some instincts needed to survive. And those types of quails may not be good in your weather conditions year round.
You can always re-home them?

Legal or not, I'm afraid you're in for a big letdown. Birds in the wild have an oil on/in their feathers, from their diet, that prevents their feathers from getting soaked. That oil is not generated by commercial game bird feed.

I spent 40 years campaigning bird dogs on the field trial circuit. Most of those trials are run on pen-raised bobwhites. Invariably, birds are left in the fields that weren't found by the dogs and they bedded down in the cover. Wet feathers from rain or snow, with no oil in their feathers to turn the water, plus cold temperatures equal death for the majority of the birds.

You'll have to check your states fish and game laws, I imagine some do.
Our state actually supplies ring neck pheasants to those who want to release them.
You really piqued our interest with this post so I sent an e-mail to my Texas Parks and Wildlife coordinators office to see if there are similar opportunities in my area what a cool idea!

Back
Top Bottom