Relocating flock

ambe0487

Songster
Jul 6, 2015
Urbandale, IA
I had to reHome my flock 2 months ago until we found land that would allow us to have my flock again.

We’ve found out land and will be putting our coop and run up before our house which is posing a logistical issue. I’ll need to bring water in but also I’ll need to be sure coop and run are predator proof because I won’t be locking them up nightly based on logistics.

My questions are- those who moved from city to the country, what challenges have you found that you hadn’t had in town?

Large scale feeders and waterers?

First off. Build it like Fort Knox! Run welded wire covered in HW cloth over a wood frame, a solid built coop, and dig bibs 18 to 24 inches deep around it all. Also I would recommend a solid roof on the run as it denies access and provides shade. And if your not going to be there much of the time consider a electric fence around that as well.
As for the feeders and waterers, depends on size of your flock and how often you will be out there
TBH I would be a nervous, anxiety ball of nerves if I was doing it. Good luck

Thank @Trux I am super nervous. I will be there still daily to be with my girls as it’s only a 10 min drive but I’d like to be able to leave for a few days and know they are okay. There are 15 of them currently and when I’m there they can free range but when I’m not I dont want them out wandering.
My current coop has a wood floor and 1/4 in hardware cloth reinforced by wood so hubby knows that is the minimum expectation.

This is the coop hubby is building for me.
E1757FE8-9D5D-4657-96DA-1EF615DCFC95.jpeg

I am planning on burying hardware cloth as well as using predator solar lights. Can I do an electric fence without electricity? Is there a battery operated one?

I had chickens on our country property for a year before we moved here full time. I researched a year before that. I wound up buying a shed to use as a coop because I wanted it totally predator proof. I put welded wire over all the windows and cut a pop door in the side. I use the Ador pop door that is controlled by a light sensor. Once they go in at night they are safe. My run is just 4’ farm fence with a huge tree in the middle for cover.

Water is a 5 gallon bucket with nipples and I made PVC feeders. My girls can go for a week at a time with no intervention.

This set up worked for three years of only coming out on weekends till we moved full time. I had the occasional loss to predators during the day or the birds jumped the fence and wandered off but not too bad and we are in a predator rich area. I will say the neighbors do have LGD that I think may have helped but no way to know for sure.

Thank @Trux I am super nervous. I will be there still daily to be with my girls as it’s only a 10 min drive but I’d like to be able to leave for a few days and know they are okay. There are 15 of them currently and when I’m there they can free range but when I’m not I dont want them out wandering.
My current coop has a wood floor and 1/4 in hardware cloth reinforced by wood so hubby knows that is the minimum expectation.

View attachment 1780558
I am planning on burying hardware cloth as well as using predator solar lights. Can I do an electric fence without electricity? Is there a battery operated one?
They have battery AND solar, solar charges battery so it lasts thru the night. BTW I am jealous that is one heck of a coop!!

View attachment 1780558
Yes, I forgot to mention that in my other post, I did use the electric poultry fence from premier one when I was not here. You have to keep the grass trimmed so it doesn’t short out but it works well with a solar charger.

@Trux & @MykaMom thanks I want it to be self sufficient for when I’m not there. Hubby is getting a very large pile barn so I get a lot of liberty with my coop and run design. We won’t pay for this exact one because he can build it and save money.

I will be sure to add welded wire as well as look into the electric fences.

@dpenning that is really good odds! We’ve used an auto door in my old coop and they were 95% for getting their feathered butts in my dusk but I’d need to get a new one that runs off solar or batteries. I would need a much higher fence because my 9lb girls can already fly up on to my 7ft privacy fence.

My girls do well with nipple and cup waterers but in the winter I’ll need to figure something more nonpowered for a solution.

We are specifically moving because I had to get rid of my birds that hubby started 10 years ago because of a law change and no leeway. I’m positive hubby wouldn’t say anything if I said I just wanted to buy the coop and run directly because he feels so bad. My poor kids are still crying themselves to bed at night that their pets aren’t there.

Back
Top Bottom