Remedy for Bumblefoot

Lamar Estate

Songster
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
St. Paul, Minnesota
Veterinarian Jaime Nalezny made a house visit yesterday for our Sebastopol goose Sebastian. (Sebastian has a lump underneath his chin area. We're hoping that it's just an abscess. She'll let us know as soon as possible.)

While Dr. Nalezny was here, she also looked at our Indian Runner duck Penny's feet. She has Bumblefoot on both of her feet. She recommended that we trace outlines of her feet, make cut outs of her feet using foam noodles (or any closed cell foam), cut out holes in the foam cut outs where the affected areas are located, apply Bag Balm on the affected areas, insert the foam cut outs into duck shoes, and keep her in shoes for 4-6 weeks. We'll apply the Bag Balm each day.

So far, Penny is not amused. She goose steps as she walks. It's going to be a long 4-6 weeks.

Dr. Nalezny does house calls for avian and exotic pets. She has experience working with ducks and geese. She brings a vet assistant with her. Sebastian, Arwen, Penny, Beaker, and Bunsen thought she was a-okay. They ate peas out of Dr. Nalezny and her assistant's hands. I highly recommend using their services to other waterfowl pet owners in the Minnesota Twin Cities area.

Jaime Nalezny, DVM; http://www.aevhs.com/
[email protected]; 612-520-1386

Last edited:
she will get use to the shoes and walk normal again I swear. i love our shoes from Nettie and would be lost without them.
Thanks for letting me know that she'll get used to them.

Yes, Nettie Kossart's duck shoes are wonderful! Thankfully she gave me a pair when I adopted Vinny and Ollie from her. I don't know what I'd use if I didn't have them.

Yay Beaker & Bunsen!!
frow.gif

Hi--

As I write this, Beaker and Bunsen are lounging on the dog bed (the dogs are on the couch instead). They say, "Hello!" Below is the latest picture I have of Beaker.

You can buy shoes from Nettie Kossart. Either send her an email, call her, or look her up on facebook. You might be able to find her items on eBay, too. She used to sell items under the name Indoor Ducks, but now uses the name PartyFowl.

Nettie Kossart of PartyFowl – diaper harnesses, leashes, costumes, and shoes for ducks and geese.
[email protected]
(708) 515-3672

So I did some reading on BYC regarding 'bumblefoot', since I wasnt familiar with the term. I originally thought it was something that only affected chickens. After reading a couple of threads posted by owners of waterfowl, I have to say, I'm a bit intimidated (and alarmed!) by it. I sincerely hope that I wont have to deal with it, though realistically, who knows what they can step on out there that might eventually lead to bumblefoot. Can anyone recommend any links that apply to treating bumblefoot, specifically on geese?

Last edited:
So I did some reading on BYC regarding 'bumblefoot', since I wasnt familiar with the term. I originally thought it was something that only affected chickens. After reading a couple of threads posted by owners of waterfowl, I have to say, I'm a bit intimidated (and alarmed!) by it. I sincerely hope that I wont have to deal with it, though realistically, who knows what they can step on out there that might eventually lead to bumblefoot. Can anyone recommend any links that apply to treating bumblefoot, specifically on geese?
Penny, as a duckling this past spring, cut the bottom of her feet on something outside. We tried to keep them clean.

I'm pretty sure it's the same treatment for geese.

Back
Top Bottom