Remedy for Thin Shells? FIXED! Solution on #13

SproutGirl

Songster
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Missoula, Montana
Hello. I have a hen who is having problems with thin shells. She has a good diet of layer pellets and oyster shells. She lives in free range conditions on a good sized piece of property with lots of greenery. I've been feeding her extra calcium and vitamin D as the books suggest, but haven't been getting any results, and she is becoming incredibly picky! She is the only one of my hens with the shell problem, and she used to be my best layer.

Here's the solution I thought of: forced moult. I haven't read about this anywhere, but made it up as a solution. I thought that maybe if I could force her to moult, she would stop laying these water-balloon-like eggs and preserve some of her calcium for a while since hens don't lay while they moult. While she's moulting, I would continue with the extra calcium along with her good diet, and hope for a recovery after she's done moulting. Does anyone think this is a good idea? Bad idea?

Last edited:
I don't like the forced molt. I think it is cruel (my opinion). If she was laying fine and now there is a problem she may have had a reproductive infection you were not aware of and the thin shells are the result. I would keep up with the good nutrition you are giving her and oyster shell. Can you tell if she is really eating it? In the mean time when you use eggs in the home freeze the egg shells. When you get about a dozen crush them up and bake them on a baking sheet at 350 for about 15 min. She should eat it and might help her shells thicker. My neighbors are alway happy to save their shells for me too. Good luck!

I think I would try a shot of calcium gluconate first (your vet can give you one, or I think one Tums amounts to the same thing, but check with your vet...). Often hens that are in high production just can't get enough calcium, even with oyster shell.

Thanks. I agree with your assessment of the forced moult as potentially cruel, but if it will help her to feel better, and I can do it as comfortably as possible, it could be worth it. I think that sometimes we have to weigh the pain against the benefit. At least, that's what I'm trying to do.
hmm.png

She is becoming very picky and is not eating her oyster shell like she should be. I have been pulverizing it and sneaking it into her foods. Yesterday I even dipped some strawberries into oyster shell powder to get her to eat some! Every treat she gets lately comes with oyster shell, or vitamin D milk, or yogurt. I also give her greens which have calcium. I don't think she has an infection (although I am not a veterinarian) since I've been reading the chicken health books and websites and she doesn't display any other symptoms of other infections or diseases. Oh, my poor birdie! This moult was the only thing I could think of after all this calcium hasn't seemed to have helped!

Here's the edit: A shot of calcium! Really? I didn't know there was such a thing. I will have to look into that. Thanks!

Last edited:
I would never force a molt as it's stressful and against the design of the chicken.

For thin shells, increase not only calcium but also take care to keep the other related vitamins/minerals in balance.

This means increasing vitamin D consumption. I use yogurt to combine good bacteria, protein, and vitamin D. I will also use organic apple cider vinegar (OACV) to help with calcium absorbtion and a number of other things. I use organic not because of the philosophy or because I'm a 'snob', but because it's bacterially fermented rather than chemically. it still contains the bacteria that make the vinegar. Those bacteria produce a number of things that chickens benefit from including enzymes, vitamins B, etc. The organic vinegar also acts as an electrolyte with less chance of overdose than a packaged one (one ounce OACV per gallon of water). And of course, it makes pretty shells.

This also means reducing the amounts of grains that you use. Never use more than 10% grains/treats in a laying flock because this causes them to have too much phosphorus in their diets, which causes them to have thin shells, egg binding, prolapse, etc. Way too much phosphorus and the bird will actually extract calcium from its bones to make up for it.

So reduce grains, make sure you have a good source of a secondary calcium source like oyster shell grit, but also increase vitamin D. Do so immediately, and forget the molt please. It causes more problems than it does good.

Quote:
Incidentally, if you're giving her spinach, it also contains oxalic acid which actually binds the calcium so that it's not bioavailable. So curtail those.

Are you feeding her a good number of grains?

Thanks for all the advice. She gets some spinach, but mostly a lot of broccoli. And some cheese, milk, fish, beans, tomatoes, lettuce. If we have left overs that aren't processed--the chickens get some, but not a ton. Mostly they get layer pellets--either Neutrena or a local MT company called Lakeland. Oats & sunflower seeds are treats in the morning. They eat a lot of grass and dandelions. Bugs. We do put the organic apple cider vinegar in their water. I just don't understand what is going on with my bird--she was our best layer, and then one day, problems arose. That's why I thought of the moult. I'm desperate for a fix, and I thought that it would at least keep her from laying, and might help her to conserve some calcium. Maybe it isn't a good idea though.
sad.png

Quote:
OK, I'd give the spinach just twice a month or so. You know, the dandelion greens are actually a good source of calcium without oxalates.
smile.png

Their total diet sounds awesome as long as the low-calcium treats are less than 10% of the total diet. And by the way, calcium is also needed for feather building.
tongue.png
Go figure. So if you had her molt, she'd still have the same issue.

By the way, how old is she again? And was there any change about one month or less before the change in shells? Was it literally overnight?

Sounds like you have a lucky girl.
smile.png

Threehorses, you are great. She is a 1 year and 3 months old--a Rhode Island Red. And, yes, there was a change about a month before this all happened, but I can't see how it would affect her egg shells. Our rooster moved on to greener pastures. She was his favorite hen. But she is good pals with the girls, and is now the top of the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom