Remove my rat problem

Hollywould

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2022
Hello, So Ive been trying different things to get the rats around from the chicken coop. I think they have a nest under the bricks on the walking around and there are holes going under the fencing. I'm doing traps, peppermint stay for Lowes for rats. we will want to do baby chick but want to get this cleared up. we just moved to the property we have last year and they were here when we got it. did not build coop but will be doing some upgrading on the barn, coop. the chickens we have now seem fine, but with baby chick is a different story. Thanks

Hello, So Ive been trying different things to get the rats around from the chicken coop. I think they have a nest under the bricks on the walking around and there are holes going under the fencing. I'm doing traps, peppermint stay for Lowes for rats. we will want to do baby chick but want to get this cleared up. we just moved to the property we have last year and they were here when we got it. did not build coop but will be doing some upgrading on the barn, coop. the chickens we have now seem fine, but with baby chick is a different story. Thanks
Have you tried live traps with peanut butter, eggs, or wet dog food? All of those things stink, so they may be more interested in that. And just so you know, your title says Rate, not Rat

Have you tried live traps with peanut butter, eggs, or wet dog food? All of those things stink, so they may be more interested in that. And just so you know, your title says Rate, not Rat

Thank you for that. (rat) lol > I've tried peanut butter but I'll try and other stuff. I've trapped two but its been about a month since the last one and I'm still seeing holes. and poop. and I'll get a few more traps. Thank you

Rats are very smart, and you won't get them all in traps, ever. Fixing the coop so it's rodent proof is necessary, because rats will eat eggs and kill chickens; it happened here a few years ago.
Bait blocks in bait stations are the only way to eliminate a colony. Most will return to their tunnels and die there, so few if any will die above ground.
Mary

Hello! Rats are not attracted to the chickens or eggs, but rather the food. However, once they find a place they get fed, they can and may also kill your chickens. Make sure to keep the food in a sealed container and not leave any out. If your chickens are free range I would not suggest using traps or poisons in open areas, as they could hurt or kill your birds.

We use bait blocks in bait stations and inside the sheds we put a baking soda/cornbread mix on paper plates. Baking soda isn't good for the rats but not poisonous to other animals.

Hello! Rats are not attracted to the chickens or eggs, but rather the food. However, once they find a place they get fed, they can and may also kill your chickens. Make sure to keep the food in a sealed container and not leave any out. If your chickens are free range I would not suggest using traps or poisons in open areas, as they could hurt or kill your birds.
Bingo, we have a winner. The surest and safest manner of pest control is to just not feed the rodents. It is almost impossible to trap or poison your way out of a rodent infestation but removing the free buffet works every time unless you are providing another source of food. They also need safe paths from their burrows to the food source, almost always within a few dozen feet or yards from food to burrow.

You can fence them out but it is expensive and rats are clever and have nothing else to do than find a way in.

Do a forum search for Howard E.'s posts on rat control and you will find the best advice on this forum for dealing with mice and rats. I believe he posted most of them in this very section of the forum.

You are very wise not to put out chicks till you have the rats ran out of the area. They will snatch chicks and even small pullets.

Back
Top Bottom