Removing chicks before they are dry in incubator ?

How is the incubator set up as what if a chick hatches when you are not watching the incubator? Sometimes they can hatch pretty quick. I know I’ve gone off to bed with nothing hatched and got up the next to a lot. Don’t think that I’m trying to pry but just wouldn’t want you to go through any more heart break of them drowning. Maybe we could help you with a solution to prevent the drowning.

Give us a picture of your setup, including where the chick drowned. We might could help with a temporary solution. I have some ideas for you, but without pics it's hard to know if they might work.

Sorry you lost your chick. :( I lost a chick once due to poor brooder setup, and I still feel bad about it. Unfortunately, sometimes things happen, we just have to learn from it and make sure it doesn't happen again.
This is the incubator .. it’s a very simple looking one from what I’ve seen online when looking at them.
image.jpg

This is where the chick had drowned. I did not find the chick my mother did when she went in to check to see if he was mostly dry to take to the brooder as it had been an hour since hatch. I no not know how it was laying upon discovery but it was chin first in the water as that’s where it was still wet when I got called down.
image.jpg

I appreciate both of you helping me!

I thought most incubators were set up so that the chicks can’t actually get to the water. It’s underneath with some kind of mesh or perforated floor.
I very much do not like this incubator not only for this reason. It’s rather difficult for the chicks once they hatch as they can barely stand properly without hitting their head on the top..

I agree. The good ones are expensive but worth the money if you plan to hatch a lot.
I plan to purchase a brinsea if I end up wanting to hatch chicks more frequently .. I just thought I’d try out hatching eggs for the first time to get a new flock going.

I know someone else who owns a brinsea incubator so I might go check hers out and see if that’s the one I truly want before actually purchasing it though!

I too agree that its not ideal at all :( I would certainly not leave that unattended until you have the sponges in and their is no open water for them to get in. Where the eggs sit is that able to be removed at all? Is there water under there and all round the edge?

I agree. The good ones are expensive but worth the money if you plan to hatch a lot.
Yes I got a Brinsea and it was well worth the extra money that I spent.
I plan to purchase a brinsea if I end up wanting to hatch chicks more frequently .. I just thought I’d try out hatching eggs for the first time to get a new flock going.

I know someone else who owns a brinsea incubator so I might go check hers out and see if that’s the one I truly want before actually purchasing it though!
I can highly recommend them. I’ve got an older octagon and it’s never missed a beat. Set and forget and well worth the extra money and if I were to get another I would certainly get a newer model Brinsea.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo. My ideas of filling the water reservoir with gravel or marbles or putting a hardware cloth covering over it won't work.

It pipped and zipped rather quickly and was constantly on it back when I had seen it hatch initially. I had to help it keep its head out of the water trough a few times right after hatch actually now that I think about it. I do wonder why it had been on its back a lot..
You can't know for sure but with this there is a pretty good chance it just was not right from the start, some type of birth defect, and just wasn't meant to make it. That happens sometimes and there isn't really anything you can do. I know it hurts but don't beat yourself up too bad.

Back
Top Bottom