Removing heat from Duckling Brooder

TaylorB1216

Chirping
Jun 5, 2016
Hi All -
Quick question:
I'm currently raising two ducklings in a brooder with a heating plate. They're in the basement of our garage, where they're protected from the elements and extreme temperature fluctuations.

They're 4 weeks old this week, and I've found that, despite making the heating plate taller to accommodate their growth, they often choose not to use it. Sometimes they sit on top of it, other times, they're no where near it. We've had a warm stretch here, with temps up in the 80's, so I've started getting them outside during the heat of the day, and they've actually spent hours at a time on our pond. Even just yesterday, they were just fine on the pond when we had an impromptu rain storm and the temp dropped down into the low 60's.

Now, in the past with ducklings, I've been pretty conservative and gave them access to a heat lamp until 6 to 8 weeks old - depending on the season.

We're getting an order of bobwhite quail chicks that were not supposed to arrive at the farm until mid june, and arrived early - we have to pick them up tomorrow (surprise!). I only have one heating plate, and prefer not to use a heat lamp (I'll do it if necessary, but I prefer the heating plate over the lamp).

Considering the circumstances with the ducklings, and their apparent hardiness, do you think it'd be OK to remove the heating plate from their brooder, and move it to the bobwhite quail brooder?

Thoughts?

I do not raise a lot of ducks, but the people around ""here"" say they only keep them with heat a few days---not weeks??? So I am following to see what the Duck experts say.

I do not raise a lot of ducks, but the people around ""here"" say they only keep them with heat a few days---not weeks??? So I am following to see what the Duck experts say.[/QUO

Good news!
They seem very hardy ... so I'm thinking it'd be OK to remove their heat source.
Thank you!

If it's in the 80s I don't see a problem removing them from the heat, I've raised ducklings without a heat lamp during the day in the 50s and they were three weeks old then and I removed the lamp when it was reliably in the 60s.

Y

Your welcome....They are ready to live outside now....
Even with nights down in the high 40's on occasion? My next question for you: We hope to integrate them with our existing flock of 5 ducks. Our drake seems to be a bit aggressive with them. Is it safe to start keeping them in the duck run with the others? Or should we seperate them? The one duckling is a silver appleyard - she's huge, however, the second duckling is a call duck, and is substantially smaller. I'm nervous about the integration at this age. Any suggestions for easing the tension between the drake and new additions?

Do not put them with that Drake....They are way too young to have him breeding them...That is what he will do...The Call might never be able to live in that flock....:thI can not keep my Appleyard and my Calls in the same Runs...They have separate pens and free range separately too....

Best wishes:frow

Back
Top Bottom