removing plugs on forced air styro incubator

kjscortez

Chirping
May 10, 2016
Texas
I have a forced air styro incubator, 3 chicks have hatched, humidity is around 70-74... do I need to remove the red plugs to open the vents, or remove one? I have about 35 eggs in, and about 10 have pipped, besides the 3 that have hatched. I'm on day 19. (bantam eggs)

Last edited:
I have a forced air styro incubator, 3 chicks have hatched, humidity is around 70-74... do I need to remove the red plugs to open the vents, or remove one?  I have about 35 eggs in, and about 10 have pipped, besides the 3 that have hatched.  I'm on day 19. (bantam eggs)

The plugs should be out for hatch. If they are taken out at lockdown humidity can be adjusted for the incubator w/out the plugs and it doesn't pose an issue during hatch. I have mine out for the whole incubation.

Thanks a bunch! I had been hatching in a small magic fly incubator and didn't have plugs, so I wasn't sure. I took one out and humidity settled at 71, just took the other out and will wait to adjust a bit if needed. Do you think as long as my humidity is 65-75-- the pipped eggs will be fine? I worried about the membrane shrinking on them if the humidity falls.

​Thanks a bunch!  I had been hatching in a small magic fly incubator and didn't have plugs, so I wasn't sure.  I took one out and humidity settled at 71, just took the other out and will wait to adjust a bit if needed.  Do you think as long as my humidity is 65-75-- the pipped eggs will be fine?  I worried about the membrane shrinking on them if the humidity falls.

Yes 65-75% is just fine if it's accurate readings. I use 70-75% because I'm hands on. Shrink wrapping at hatch is not as common as as the hatching lore lets people believe.

Back
Top Bottom