Removing spurs on older hen

wolfinator

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2015
Mountains of Fayette County, WV
I've acquired recently a golden comet hen who's about 4 years old. Problem is she has a 3" spur on one leg (photo) and a 2" one on the other plus her nails are seriously long. I've had multiple hens with spurs but not this long so usually I leave them alone. She doesn't like being held at all so what is a safe way to remove the spurs. What is the best way to trim her nails, some are so long they curl some. I decided to call her Waddles because of the way she walks. Our local vet we use doesn't do any livestock and the one that does i don't trust after several family members lost their pets in their care - some shortly after being fixed.

20220917_170602.jpg

I've never seen or had a hen with that long of spurs, your sure its a hen? Could you get a picture of her?
You can trim them with dog nail clippers, or something similar, just cut off little pieces to make sure you don't hit the quick.
Another way is to grip them with a wrench, you grip them and then twist, then pull, and they should come off.

I've never seen or had a hen with that long of spurs, your sure its a hen? Could you get a picture of her?
You can trim them with dog nail clippers, or something similar, just cut off little pieces to make sure you don't hit the quick.
Another way is to grip them with a wrench, you grip them and then twist, then pull, and they should come off.
Wouldn't that hurt quite a bit?

Wouldn't that hurt quite a bit?
My vet had to pull a curled-in spur off of one of my roosters as was no way to cut it. I don't know if the initial pull hurt as we numbed his foot, but he did show signs of discomfort afterward. The quick bleeds and oozes for a few days and any time it gets bumped/rubbed/jostled, it bleeds more. It's not a method I would do again unless I had to.
My two faverolle roosters have spurs as thick as my thumb and to make it worse, they're growing extra spurs. Each roo has three spurs. I have to use a hoof nipper.

I have roosters
My vet had to pull a curled-in spur off of one of my roosters as was no way to cut it. I don't know if the initial pull hurt as we numbed his foot, but he did show signs of discomfort afterward. The quick bleeds and oozes for a few days and any time it gets bumped/rubbed/jostled, it bleeds more. It's not a method I would do again unless I had to.
My two faverolle roosters have spurs as thick as my thumb and to make it worse, they're growing extra spurs. Each roo has three spurs. I have to use a hoof nipper.
3? That's unusual.

Oh, definitely a hen. A friend of a friend had her originally until I got her. She didn't come from the best of places, minimal of everything including space. I not only got her but 5 other hens (all golden comets), she's the worst looking, feathers missing on her back, spurs and curled nails plus now molting. I'll try to get a photo of her tomorrow, she's easy to find as she is usually in the main coop.

Should I soak her legs in warm water first? I'm probably going to have to get someone to help me with doing that. I'm visually impaired after having major eye surgery a 4 weeks ago - still healing but it doesn't stop me from trying to care for my flock, although I've stepped on a few duck and chicken eggs plus some toes. It seems they try to somewhat stay out of my way but not always.

Wow

Oh, definitely a hen. A friend of a friend had her originally until I got her. She didn't come from the best of places, minimal of everything including space. I not only got her but 5 other hens (all golden comets), she's the worst looking, feathers missing on her back, spurs and curled nails plus now molting. I'll try to get a photo of her tomorrow, she's easy to find as she is usually in the main coop.

Should I soak her legs in warm water first? I'm probably going to have to get someone to help me with doing that. I'm visually impaired after having major eye surgery a 4 weeks ago - still healing but it doesn't stop me from trying to care for my flock, although I've stepped on a few duck and chicken eggs plus some toes. It seems they try to somewhat stay out of my way but not always.
Well she has huge talons!
You can soak her legs.
What method are you going to use for her talons?

No, don't soak her spurs in water.

If you want to trim her spurs, then use a dremel with a cut off wheel. The heat from the dremel will help cauterize at it goes. Cut, let cool a bit, then cut a bit more. It's going to smell.

Twisting off the outer sheath with a pair of pliers does work, but there is still a "spur" underneath. That leaves a tender quick, it may ooze and/or be bloody for a few days. She will be very sensitive.

Dog nail clippers could be used to trim the end off to blunt them, but you want to have good sharp clippers that will cut through, not pinch or splinter.

Dremel is my preferred method since it's clean and precise.

It's not uncommon for hens to have spurs.

Back
Top Bottom