Removing the Predators Food Supply

spiceholler

Chirping
Sep 12, 2021
The losses to our flock have recently seen a steep uptick and we lost another hen last night. (We had left for a dinner party and knew we were taking a risk, ugh!) Based on the hunting behavior and pile of feathers, we believe we are dealing with either a fox (from the nearby droppings) or a bobcat (we actually witnessed one slowly leave the area after a failed attempt.) It's probably both. Although hawks are on our radar, our immediate concern is ground predators.

Nonetheless, it may be time for us to reconsider free ranging our flock; however most of our hens are likely not to cooperate with this! Because we don't have enough space adjacent to their coop we would have to create another location where we could contain them and will most likely use electric fencing. I think we could probably lure most of them into a new area with some tasty treats, then move them back to the coop area until they go in at night. I guess leaving at dusk will never be an option for us in the short term. I'm thinking at least a few months of keeping them protected makes sense.

One thing for sure is this (or them) predator is not shy or afraid of getting close to our house!

I feel like the concept of removing the food supply seems like a good strategy. Has anybody done this successfully?

And secondly, does anybody think having a rooster in the flock attracts more predators? (we've had him since Spring)

their coop is very very secure. they are getting picked off generally at dusk when they gather near the coop to have a snack before bedtime.

That may work but unfortunately the predators can still smell the prey. Best way to handle the problem is to hire a nuisance trapper to remove the predators from the area for now....there will be a vacuum effect and more will take over but it usually takes a bit of time. Maybe consider a tractor to keep them under cover so they can still roam around a little bit on different ground daily?

that is good advice, but i wish we had the time or funds to take on another coop build. we have invested a significant amount into their current coop. i suppose as you say there are no shortcuts.

As we are in a rural area with 400+ acres around the property (recently logged which I believe has also significantly increased our predator pressure) so I wonder if a nuisance trapper would make sense. last fall we did see a decrease in losses after we found a dead fox on the road.

I know we can't be so bold as to control mother nature. our main goal in the short term is to stabilize the situation as best we can before proceeding with potentially replenishing. (next spring)

that is good advice, but i wish we had the time or funds to take on another coop build. we have invested a significant amount into their current coop. i suppose as you say there are no shortcuts.

As we are in a rural area with 400+ acres around the property (recently logged which I believe has also significantly increased our predator pressure) so I wonder if a nuisance trapper would make sense. last fall we did see a decrease in losses after we found a dead fox on the road.

I know we can't be so bold as to control mother nature. our main goal in the short term is to stabilize the situation as best we can before proceeding with potentially replenishing. (next spring)
Contact your state trapping association or the Department of Natural Resources for names of nuisance trappers in your area....It's pretty effective to remove the predator load then do some annual work to keep them in check. The local wildlife population will appreciate it too.

Have you tried electric poultry netting? You can use as many units as needed to keep your chickens from flying over and out, though some chickens will not attempt to fly out. The electric netting is portable, so you can put them on one side of the coop for a few days, then move them to the other side for a few days.

After years of feeding predators, minks, raccoons, bobcats, dogs ,cats and hawks my chickens while free ranging, I tried a lot of methods and some helped but none were 100% except a secure covered coop and run. So I went to only free ranging my bachelor flocks. I do enjoy watching them ranging and eating ticks and other insects. I can tolerate feeding a few of them to the local wildlife most every year. I wish my entire flock could enjoy free ranging but the losses are certain, sometimes heavy and devastating, especially when it is your favorite young hens or an old pet that gets it! None of my chickens is as rare or a valuable asset to me or to nature to consider killing all possible predators! I don't mind feeding a few roosters to a young fox family or a beautiful hawk raising a brood of her own. It does upset me if it is a neighbors cat or dog! Or if it is my laying hens or my carefully selected flock roosters. Free ranging is great if you can do it without losses of your prize birds, I had some luck with long narrow (about twenty feet across 6 ft .tall x 100 ft. or so) but open topped runs with strings ran across the top every ten feet with fluttering crime scene tape attached that seemed to discourage hawks but foxes(and others) need very good electric fences or top enclosed runs. Best wishes for your success and a happy safe and productive flock.

Back
Top Bottom