Repeat Dose of Fenbendazole

TwoRoosters123

Hatching
Sep 23, 2023
Hi, everyone! I have a question pertaining to my flock of chickens. I recently got four started pullets and have been monitoring their condition. They have bloody droppings but no visible worms. I had read that sometimes worms can cause this blood in the stool, so I have started them on a course of fenbendazole. The specific one I have been using is the SafeGuard Dewormer for Goats Suspension 10% (100mg/mL). I have mixed 3mL of the fenbendazole in a gallon of water for five days. Am I supposed to treat them again in 10 days, or will this initial dose be sufficient to kill the worms? If not, how many days should I treat them on the second round? Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to BYC. It is best if one can dose the chickens orally. DoSage is 1/4 ml per pound given orally once and then in 10 days for roundworms only. For most all chicken worms except for tapeworms, give it for 5 consecutive days.

Putting the wormer in water, it will settle out. Be sure to shake it well. You also do not know if they are drinking enough of it. However, you can mix it in moistended feed if the chicken eats all of it. With only 4 chickens, it would be easy to worm them just before daylight, taking them off their roost, worming them orally, and then releasing them. Headlamps with those red lights can be useful doing that.

Okay, so in ten days, treat them orally and individually one time with 1/4mL per pound fenbendazole? Should I place this dose on the tip of their beak or along the side of the esophagus to avoid the airway?
Welcome to BYC. It is best if one can dose the chickens orally. DoSage is 1/4 ml per pound given orally once and then in 10 days for roundworms only. For most all chicken worms except for tapeworms, give it for 5 consecutive days.

Putting the wormer in water, it will settle out. Be sure to shake it well. You also do not know if they are drinking enough of it. However, you can mix it in moistended feed if the chicken eats all of it. With only 4 chickens, it would be easy to worm them just before daylight, taking them off their roost, worming them orally, and then releasing them. Headlamps with those red lights can be useful doing that.
Thank you!

I just squirt 1/2 ml at a time into the beak, let them swallow, and repeat. If you pull down on the wattle, they will open the beak, then release it and they swallow.

Back
Top Bottom