Replacing a chimney liner

Trent Hardy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 30, 2014
Newfoundland, Ca
Has anyone ever been involved in replacing an existing clay liner in a chimney?

We were cleaning out our chimney this weekend and a big chunk of the liner fell down into the cleanout. Just had a guy come by and he quated me $1400 to remove the liner and replace it with a new stainless steel one. I'm after looking into how to do it myself, and it looks like one of those jobs that is relatively simple if you've got the right equipment.

My main concern is a cheap, effective way to remove the old liner. online research shows that the pros use a "tile breaker" which is a small piece of metal that attaches to a drill. It is then spun up and used to break up the tile. The thing is, to buy one along with the metal rods, will start to get expensive.

I was thinking of making my own by placing a weighted object on the end of a piece of rope and the other end onto a drill, dropping it into the chimney and getting it spinning. Has anyone else done anything like this? Any thoughts?

So, just a quick update on this thread. I didn't swap out my chimney liner after all. Got the missus' grandfather to come up and take a look at it. He's one of those jack of all trades. Took a look up through the chimney, pointed out to me where the break was and how easy it would be to get a patch in. So I did that. Whole project cost me about $20. This after an "expert" quoted me $1400 to replace my liner. Contractors are not to be trusted :)

Back
Top Bottom