Repost as I had this in the wrong thread. Help on gender and type please.

Wrenne

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 24, 2018
Very new never owned chickens, but hatched two last month. I will show a photo of them when they hatched and then all the other images are at one month age. We thought from our attempt at a vent test, that the black one is a male and we named him Peepers hoping we could convince him to be a gently rooster. The other one eats and eats... We call her Asia because her face looked like a sunrise when she hatched.
four-days-jpg.1443110
suspected-male-based-on-vent-test-day-old_sm-jpg.1443111
dsc07025_-jpg.1443112
suspected-female-until-recently-jpg.1443113
dsc07021_-jpg.1443114
dsc07016_-jpg.1443115

Can anybody tell me what type of chickens these are and take a guess at the sex? The black one has been smaller than the gold/tan one. Some of the colors coming in are brighter. Asia has a straight comb and wattles are turning color. But seemed to defer to Peepers even though larger than the black one. The black one does have white on the ends of some of his feathers that are new and is losing all the baby white stuff. But now, Asia is ruling the roost. She sleeps on the roost and Peepers is sleeping below the roost. That is the opposite of last week. She steals food, thinks only of food. Peepers is very aware of surroundings. When Asia is picked up Peepers goes on alert.

Wrenne

Any help will be appreciated.

They are beautiful!
Where did you get them from? Asia looks like a black sex-link cockerel based on coloring. (however, based on where you got them from, he/she could just be a mix with those colors)
Peepers looks like a mix, also.
Also, apart from coloring, Asia's comb is pretty large and read for only 4 weeks old, meaning that "she" is probably a cockerel.
However, it would be best to repost pictures when they are about 8-10 weeks old in order to provide a more assured answer (especially for Peepers)
Please feel free to ask me to explain further if the wording is confusing!

Back
Top Bottom