Reptile Heating Pad

Hi,
I found this listing on amazon that ships to belgium. Do you think it would do? I have no idea about the Fahrenheit degrees , so i would like some toughts...
Would this be for keeping the chicks inside or also outside?
Thanks!
Here is the specifications from Amazon.

• Package Includes 1 - Apollo Horticulture Heating Mat and 1 - Digital Thermostat Combo Set
  • Dimensions: Dome - Heat Mat - 9"x 20" / Thermostat: 5.25" x 3" x 1.5"
  • Heat Mat Warms root area to 10 to 20°F above room temperature to Improve root growth
  • Thermostat provides constant optimum temperature between 68-108°F / 20-42°C depending on your specific crop.
  • Package Includes: 1 - Heat Mat / 1 - Digital Thermostat

You can see that it does include Celsius temp as well.
In my opinion it may work if you only had a few chicks, due to its size. MAKE A CAVE AND INSULATE SO HEAT DOES NOT ESCAPE EASILY. Indoors definitely since the power output is on the LOW SIDE.
819nnKnL%2BoL._SL1500_.jpg

I read description in pix and this is the description that I entered into Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horti...eating+mat+and+1+digital+thermostat+combo+set
look for a 150 W ceramic infrared heat emitter brooder , or reptile infrared lamp bulb black.! there are many places to buy one, i paid like $6.00 for mine with free shipping , so they are not expensive at all and worth a try..! in would set up my brooder and check the heat level, to see if it works for you..?

150W 110V Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter Brooder Coop Pet Infrared Lamp Bulb, Black

forgot to mention that I have a thick pyrex serving dish that I used as a heat ballast and stuck a reptile heater under it and used it as the heat source in a cooler bator, it worked quite well. rather than adjusting the temp with a reostat or thermostat, I made four holes in the cooler and plugged them with wads of saran wrap as needed to regulate temp. I had like an 80% hatch rate. I don't see why it can't be used as an MHP, but when I went that direction, I didn't want to re-invent the wheel so I went with a version of Blooies set up, the biggest heating pads, two of them, for 37 CX. the brooder was set up outside, early spring with temps in the upper 30's, virtually 100% success rate.

• Package Includes 1 - Apollo Horticulture Heating Mat and 1 - Digital Thermostat Combo Set
  • Heat Mat Warms root area to 10 to 20°F above room temperature to Improve root growth
  • Thermostat provides constant optimum temperature between 68-108°F / 20-42°C depending on your specific crop.

In my opinion it may work if you only had a few chicks, due to its size. MAKE A CAVE AND INSULATE SO HEAT DOES NOT ESCAPE EASILY. Indoors definitely since the power output is on the LOW SIDE.
this is the link i found for the black ceramic heat lamp.
BYB - 150W 110V Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter Brooder Coop Pet

Thank you for your reply, i did see that about the thermostat that you can buy with it, but was wondering about the heat pad itself since it says it warms about 10 to 20° F above room temperature. So it would probably only be good to use indoors? I don't have ant experience with either chick raising or Fahrenheit, so i'd rather ask the experts... :)

Hey Blooie, neat idea. Now I know what to do with the seed heating pad that never was real effective. I'm not sure what the temp setting is , but the cave idea solves that. I have 10 Buckeyes coming in April.
mrkep

Hey Blooie, neat idea. Now I know what to do with the seed heating pad that never was real effective. I'm not sure what the temp setting is , but the cave idea solves that. I have 10 Buckeyes coming in April.
mrkep

Whoa....it wasn't me! :lau In all the batches of chicks I raised using Mama Heating Pad, I never used anything but a Sunbeam xPress Heat heating pad. I've never used a seedling mat, or a reptile pad, or anything else. (Well, that's not quite true - my first batch of chicks ever were raised under a <gulp> heat lamp.) But aside from that, I only used the heating pad I mentioned. In the Mama Heating Pad thread there are posts from folks asking about the other mats, and I can't remember what the consensus was about their use. simply because they didn't post a lot of results with it. So it didn't stick in my mind. Do they work? I don't know. Does anything in the basic design have to be changed? I don't know. Can you wash them up after chick season and use them on a sore shoulder? Nope. ;)

Lol, yeah it was me. I raised chicks under a seedling heat mat, it went well. Having said that, I don't know what brand yours is or what sort of heat it emits. I only know that the xxl viagrow seedling heat mat worked for me. This same heat mat also did a lot for my seedlings, so take care. If your heating mat doesn't help your plants it might not put off enough heat to properly heat your chicks. Always have a backup plan like a heat lamp in case you need something to fall back on while experimenting.

Back
Top Bottom