Reputable hatcheries in Southern California?

socalchickens76

Chirping
Oct 13, 2020
Hi all,

I live in San Diego and am looking for recommendations for reputable hatcheries in Southern California. I purchased my first flock (6 hens) from a local breeder in 2020 and 2 of them (both Wyandottes) have already died from reproductive issues. As a result, I'm looking for high quality, heritage breed chickens. I don't need prolific layers. I'd rather have healthier chickens that give me less eggs but live longer.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Hi! I’m in L.A. and got my first batch of hens from Dare2Dream Farms in Lompoc. They are NPIP certified, vaccinate for Marek’s, avian flu tested, will take back accidental roos (we did have to send one back) and they hand-deliver. There are some other folks on here that didn’t have such a great experience though… we’ve only had them since October 2022, but everyone’s healthy and laying now.

I got our second batch from Hilltop Farms in Corona two weeks ago, but so far I can’t recommend. The people seemed nice enough and their socials are great but I’ve lost one chick so far and the others are just not doing so hot.

I’m watching this thread to see if anyone else has suggestions for SoCal hatcheries.

Hi! I’m in L.A. and got my first batch of hens from Dare2Dream Farms in Lompoc. They are NPIP certified, vaccinate for Marek’s, avian flu tested, will take back accidental roos (we did have to send one back) and they hand-deliver. There are some other folks on here that didn’t have such a great experience though… we’ve only had them since October 2022, but everyone’s healthy and laying now.

I got our second batch from Hilltop Farms in Corona two weeks ago, but so far I can’t recommend. The people seemed nice enough and their socials are great but I’ve lost one chick so far and the others are just not doing so hot.

I’m watching this thread to see if anyone else has suggestions for SoCal hatcheries.
Keep me posted

I don't recommend Hilltop Farms right now. I bought from them because it seemed like they had several good reviews, but 4 out of 5 of my chicks from them died.
I've never purchased from backyardchickies in San Diego before but I've heard good things and I've communicated with the owner before and she seemed really nice. Might want to check them out. https://www.backyardchickies.com/

I purchased my first six chickens from Renee at backyardchickies in May 2020 and two of my six have died. Both of them were Wyandottes and both died from reproductive issues. The other four have been healthy (except one died from a bobcat attack so we only have three now). I know a few other people who have purchased Wyandottes from her as well and they also died within the first years unexpectedly. Something seems wrong with her line of Wyandottes. The others we got from her (Buff, Barred Rock, Black Australorp and Easter Egger all have been healthy). Because of that I'm debating on whether I should get more from her or not (and just stay away from her Wyandottes).

I purchased 4 chicks from Hilltop in April. 3 died within 3 days. I filled out their loss form, never heard anything. I had preordered 6 in March, ended up cancelling order and took it as a loss. Vet does not recommend them.

Back
Top Bottom