rescue hens with cold ??

muddy moon

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 20, 2014
I have 8 rescue hens all have come with crackly breathing and I have seen for a better description snot bubbles I have isolated them from the rest of my flock but wondered what people recommend for treatment over the counter preferably I'm in the UK or any home remedy's thanks in advance

Can you give us more info? What does their poop look like? How about eating and drinking? Are their any other abnormal symptoms? Hope we can be of help!

Droppings seem normal I only got them Wednesday but they seem to be eating and drinking fine I even had eggs Thursday morning they have been scratching around plenty maybe little lethargic they just seem to have very ruckly breathing like mucus in back of their throat and occasional snotty bubbles from top of beak but not lots 1 or 2 I've seen

I say little lethargic but I have only seen them first thing in morning and late evening so could just be not quite awake lol

Well this morning they all seem a bit better opens the door to check feed ect and they all standing at the door eager to come out talking away one or two little crackling but seeming better

Hi
These things are usually viral, so you need to keep them isolated or risk it spreading to your existing flock. Viruses need time to run their course. I use eucalyptus oil or Vick's Vapour Rub on those that are struggling with their breathing to help open the airways. Just a little rubbed on their comb and wattles and under their beak (throat area). Vet RX is a product specifically formulated in the USA to help with these sort of symptoms in poultry and whilst it can be ordered off Amazon, it's quite pricey with postage, so I still haven't tried it.
Hopefully they will get over it in a couple of weeks without any secondary infections setting in. Good luck with them.

Barbara

Hi
These things are usually viral, so you need to keep them isolated or risk it spreading to your existing flock. Viruses need time to run their course. I use eucalyptus oil or Vick's Vapour Rub on those that are struggling with their breathing to help open the airways. Just a little rubbed on their comb and wattles and under their beak (throat area). Vet RX is a product specifically formulated in the USA to help with these sort of symptoms in poultry and whilst it can be ordered off Amazon, it's quite pricey with postage, so I still haven't tried it.
Hopefully they will get over it in a couple of weeks without any secondary infections setting in. Good luck with them.

Barbara
Thanks they definitely seem to be improving it was a really nice day here so they have had a day roaming the garden and loving every minute I even had to round them up to get them back in the hut lol

Back
Top Bottom