Rescue hens?

jannakaye

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
Mississippi
I'm not exactly sure where to put this, so bare with me lol. I am interested in adopting an ex battery hen, or a hen who just needs a fresh start, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. I live in Mississippi, and there are absolutely NO rescues of any kind around here! Does anyone know of any rescues around the upper part of Mississippi?

I'm in the same boat and can't find any in my area (I'm in Canada).

I contacted every factory farm, animal welfare organization, the Egg Farmers of Ontario and even the Canadian form of "PETA" for farm animals. No one could help me :(

try this forum on here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...et-rescue-battery-hens-from/120#post_13912943

If you can't find any information on that forum maybe start with contacting animal welfare organizations in your area?

Good luck!

Last edited:
Im in ohio and I have a hen that needs to go to a home with no roosters and maybe z home with just ducks. I wish I knew someone eho lived closer, or a rescue like you are looking for.

there is a rescue farm at Union MO ... South of St Louis. I think this is too far for any of you. The problem I find with rescue animals, the adoption fee is almost more than the bird is worth. Right now they have a (male) Peacock with adoption fee of $75. I can get a juvenile male for $50 from someone I know locally. Union would be a 3 hour drive for me. So, sadly that changed my mind about trying to adopt. I understand they need money to operate their farm...but I am sure it stops people from adopting (like me)

Man! I found a "egg farm" but it's almost three hours away and I can't get anyone to answer the phone :/ @PoultryQueen101 I would gladly take your hen if we were closer! I've got a separate run for older hens that's needing a resident!(it's sitting so they can see the others, but aren't bothered by the younger hens or the roo.) @the Fowler I've been worrying about that. It's not in my budget to spend that much money!
1f616.png

Man! I found a "egg farm" but it's almost three hours away and I can't get anyone to answer the phone :/ @PoultryQueen101 I would gladly take your hen if we were closer! I've got a separate run for older hens that's needing a resident!(it's sitting so they can see the others, but aren't bothered by the younger hens or the roo.) @the Fowler I've been worrying about that. It's not in my budget to spend that much money!
1f616.png

she eats, she drinks, and she still lays, she is only like a year or two old. Currently molting. Her rump is huge and featherless, and we are afriad she will get plucked again.

Awe if you were closer I have a semi rescue - I've had to rescue our petite bantam frizzle from multiple flocks - 2 attempted pure murder and another just tried to breed her the death- poor thing is just so sweet - but has to stay alone unless she hatches her own babies or raises old enough ones to form her own flock-

Curly Sue

And yes she's finally growing her feathers back yet again - poor thing just hasn't had no luck

Back
Top Bottom