Rescue hens?

@poultryqueen101
What's the status of your hen? (It's a chicken hen right?) and are near Cincinnati?

um no we are not near cincinatti, but on the 26th we will be in lucasville. Yes its a chicken. We are just about ready to give up on her. The area is greatly expanded and their are black scabs on it. We are pretty sure she might have an infection inside... forget what its called. But if you are interested, maybe we can bring her to lucasville without her getting harmed.

Sure!
but... be warned, this is what it looks like. And she has to have solid ground like wood, no wires, because it is a very delicate area. Its very delicate. But you are about 2 hours away from me. A little less.
105 miles
We tried to help her b cutting up an old shirt of mine and fixing it to fit around her, but she went crazy. We dont know exactly how to do that stuff, so wed rather her live with it than kill herself trying to get the thing off.

Maybe you know when a good time to cull a bird is, and you can stand it better. Shes the last thing to remind me of my raven and I dont want to have to let her go. She tries so hard to live. For now she is pain free.
I had to give this little hen away because we thought it was a boy. First chicken I hatched and the first and last to do this.

and here is copper.

Last edited:
Nope, not egg bound, she has been laying some huge eggs, but recently stopped around molt time. We have had two or three egg bound hens, they were weak and helpless. Copper is perky and joyful. It is likely an internal infection... we had to shove her intestines back in.

Last edited:
Not a prolapse, either, I looked up pics and this is internal, not internal made external.

guess I have to explain her internal infection to settle this.
Her sister maran kept pecking her vent feathers to the point it was a scab. One day it burst open and her intestines hung out. When we washed them, they were covered in mulch and stuff. We were able to successfully get them back inside her and stitch it shut with cotton thread. Unfortunatly, the day we were going to take it out, the stitches disappeared and her scab had fallen off. right now the area has expanded larger than shown. It has two small black dots/scabs on it and has a cut on the side that has since healed. We are afraid that by next friday it is best to cull her to prevent a struggle of life in the future. Unless someone can manage her safely. She would need solid ground and enough room to exercise. She cannot be with other birds, or near any surface that she could cut herself. Her pen would need new mulch every 2 weeks to keep her safer. She prefers crumbles, but is currently on pellets. She has recently stopped laying for the moment, but she is still only 2 years old. Part of the reason the area expanded is possibly because of the abnormally large eggs she has layed. Of course, we reserve you the right to cull her at any point in time that you feel you can no longer deal with her. She is a lovely bird, and it hurts me that we has to go through this. Besidds our polish, she is most beautiful of all.

Back
Top Bottom