''Rescue'' Rabbits

PuppyBantamCochin

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
So...today I unintentionally ''rescued'' some rabbits. Okay, so not really.
We had called a lady who had free rabbits and went to pick ONE up this morning (we hoped to get a female, and raise a litter or two of rabbits every year for meat).
We ended up with 4.
I felt kind of bad for them....they were living in cramped hutches w/damp straw filled w/manure&urine.
They appear to be ''bright eyed & bushy tailed''.
2 are females and I think may be pregnant.

Anything I should give them?
I've got water soulable antibiotics I could give them.

Any tips/advice GReatly appreciated.

Thanks,

F.V.

First ... don't give rabbits antibiotics unless you see a problem. It is way too hard on their digestive tract. Most of the time we use injectables ... and only when absolutely necessary. if they are preggers, you will just stress them more. Can give some Probios (either the paste or waterbased).

What to do ... did you get any of the feed? So you can make the change over easier.

since you do not know if they are preggers ... put them in nice homes, watch the belly, and give them a nest box.

Lots of water ... and TLC ...

Good luck ...

Hay and either the pellets they were eating or straight grain (I've been using steel cut barley) until they get adjusted to new pellets should be all you need. After they are cleaned up and adjusted to their new living conditions I'd deworm them since they had so much contact with their own and each others droppings. There is a useful dosage calculator with medication warnings or possible reactions here http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html .

Thanks for all the advice! They seem to have settled in okay.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom