Rescued 7 week old frizzle chick

kathy2016

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2016

Hi, im wondering if anyone can help us. My daughter rescued 2 7 week old frizzle chicks almost 2 weeks ago. One is almost completely bald, was severely undernourished, and is so tiny she/he still fits in the palm of her hand. We have them on chick crumble and she has put a little bit of weight on, but her skin is really dry and looks sore, it also seems to split easily if she knocks herself on anything. When we got her she looked burnt which has gone now. Is there anything we can do to help her skin, or her feathers and for her growth? Shes so tiny! My daughter is 13 and is with her all thr time - "ralphy" now follows hers around lol. Thanks!

I just want to ssy an enormous thankyou to everyone who offered advice! We have taken all your words of wisdom and little ralph is looking so much better! The coconut oil has worked so fast and we can now see some feathers happening! His skin looks healthier and he is much more comfortable! The fermented food he loves and comes running to whoever has his bowl! He is currently running around with the bigger chickens and showing regular chicken behaviour. My daughter is doing everything you suggested and keeping him warm and happy! So thankyou!!

I am no expert by any stretch but, for his dry skin i would say use some moisturizer with out fragrance and for sensitive skin. Maybe utter balm for cows utters. I put A&D ointment on a rhode island red who had it's tail plucked and bloodied once.
Also your bird needs to be inside and have a heat source because it has no feathers to the job. So until it gets most of them back, a good cold chilly wind could kill him.
Make sure you give it electrolytes in the water it will help hydrate the skin.
Also higher protein for a short time may help the feathers grow back a little sooner. Something like turkey/game bird starter, it's ussually about 4-6% higher then chich starter.
Finally, if the skin breaks open stop the bleeding asap or remove the 2nd chick so it doesn't peck at it and make it worse.
Well that's my common sence approach to try and help the poor little bird. I hope i wasn't insulting your chicken knowledge by taking it step by step, i truley was just trying to help and i didn't know where your experience level is at. I sure hope he pulls threw, he sounds like he's already a great little pet. Best of luck to ya

Thanks for the reply! We are relatively new to having chickens so i appreciate any advice! We do have her inside mostly - mydaughter takes her outside for short bursts so she can scratch and dust bathe. One of our other chickens seems to have taken a liking to her and tends to let her cuddle into her when shes outside which is cute. I will look into the higher protein food tomorrow - i hadnt thought of that as well as the moisturiser, i asked at the local pet shop who were very unhelpful
1f612.png
. She/he is such a trooper we are hoping she makes it!
1f60a.png

Yeah, i know what you mean on the pet shop "help" as it applies to chickens. I am a retired Army soldier but i part time as the fish guy at a local pet shop and any farm animal question comes strait to me,lol. Everything i know is either experience or common sence based at this point. I'm not even a year into chickens but threw my chciken friends and this sight, i have learned a lot.
If you can't find the higher protein starter food, some people have said that cat food crushed up works as well. I haven't tried that though.
It is encouraging that she is dust bathing and acting like a chicken should though, that makes me feel like she will be good to go with a little more TLC. Keep up the good work
263a.png

Coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer with anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties as well.

Try to keep the chicks together. The sudden separation could send them both into further decline.

I would rig up a dirt bath inside for them both if it's too cold to take them outside. Dirt bathing is critical for feather conditioning.

Have you examined the skin and feather follicles for mites or lice? Use a magnifying glass and look at the base of the feathers and around the rump area. That may be a reason for the feather loss.

Crumbled tofu is a high protein, easily digestible food that most chickens adore. I would get some Poultry Nutri-drench which will boost their nutritional reserves immediately. Sprinkle it on the tofu. I would avoid the cat food since it's pretty heavy on salt and could further dehydrate them.

Try fermenting the chick crumbles for natural probiotics and additional nutrients. Just pour warm water over some crumbles, add a dash of apple cider vinegar unfiltered, and keep in a warm place, stirring a few times a day, feeding after 48 hours. Add more crumbles or more water to maintain an oatmeal consistency.

I would rig up a heating pad for the two chicks to snuggle against rather than put up a heat lamp, which might also be drying on their exposed skin.

With the kind of care and attention your daughter is giving them, I have no doubt these two are in good hands.

Coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer with anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties as well.

Try to keep the chicks together. The sudden separation could send them both into further decline.

I would rig up a dirt bath inside for them both if it's too cold to take them outside. Dirt bathing is critical for feather conditioning.

Have you examined the skin and feather follicles for mites or lice? Use a magnifying glass and look at the base of the feathers and around the rump area. That may be a reason for the feather loss.

Crumbled tofu is a high protein, easily digestible food that most chickens adore. I would get some Poultry Nutri-drench which will boost their nutritional reserves immediately. Sprinkle it on the tofu. I would avoid the cat food since it's pretty heavy on salt and could further dehydrate them.

Try fermenting the chick crumbles for natural probiotics and additional nutrients. Just pour warm water over some crumbles, add a dash of apple cider vinegar unfiltered, and keep in a warm place, stirring a few times a day, feeding after 48 hours. Add more crumbles or more water to maintain an oatmeal consistency.

I would rig up a heating pad for the two chicks to snuggle against rather than put up a heat lamp, which might also be drying on their exposed skin.

With the kind of care and attention your daughter is giving them, I have no doubt these two are in good hands.

See told ya there was a wealth of knowledge here
263a.png

Bless your hearts for rescuing these two chicks. You can also chop up a boiled egg for extra protein. They need protein to grow in the new feathers. Make sure you provide them with grit in a seperate container. Please keep us updated.

Thanks for all the great advice! My daughter is so excited to have new ideas to help her. She currently has the chick crumb fermenting in the water and vinegar and the coconut oil is out to use as a moisturiser while eggs are being boiled! Interestingly enough she had put a heat pad underneath where they sleep and even put in a small soft teddy bear that Ralph likes to give Walter (other chicken) a bit of a break! We are in australia so its our summer here so luckily the weather isbt too cold and she can go outside at times.

Back
Top Bottom