Rescued baby dove, what do I do?

Iownmuscovies

Songster
May 26, 2018
Hello, I just found a scared baby dove in my backyard today. She’s very quiet and literally does not move or make noise she just stands there like a brick. She doesn’t eat or drink, I don’t see any injuries on her. I’ve been with her for many hours and she hasn’t consumed any food but she’s had 2 sips of water during all those hours. I can’t leave her outside either because she can’t seem to walk or defend herself, and there’s a lot of cats and rats im our backyard. What do I feed her and how do I go about this? What is the best feed for a baby pigeon? I want to say she’s around 15-20 days old. And how do I go about approaching her? She doesn’t seem to be stressed around me and she doesn’t panic or fly around, but she doesn’t seem to like being handled either

Attachments

• 3B9ACCD1-E0CC-48A8-BFA5-2D6077B1813B.jpeg
    3B9ACCD1-E0CC-48A8-BFA5-2D6077B1813B.jpeg
    469.1 KB · Views: 419
  • F0FE313E-37D1-4B4C-BBF5-A248C58B9346.jpeg
    F0FE313E-37D1-4B4C-BBF5-A248C58B9346.jpeg
    790.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 8FF32420-CABC-4346-B9F2-1CE29AA6F11F.jpeg
    8FF32420-CABC-4346-B9F2-1CE29AA6F11F.jpeg
    482.4 KB · Views: 24
Update: she just ate a little bit of the blended corn, peas, and bread thing I made for her, and she had a bit of water. She’s now sitting I think sleeping

Also, as you can see from the pictures, she’s missing feathers on her face? Is that anything to worry about? Does she have a disease?

Did you check her for mites? I found a few baby birds last year that looked similar and had a mite infestation. What a sweet little bird! ❤️

Did you check her for mites? I found a few baby birds last year that looked similar and had a mite infestation. What a sweet little bird! ❤️
How do I check for mites? Will I catch them if I try and check? Thanks for replying!

How do I check for mites? Will I catch them if I try and check? Thanks for replying!
No, they won’t affect you, but they can make the bird weak. They’re tiny little bugs that would be crawling on it. Check under feathers if you can. They may crawl on your hand if it’s bad, but they’re not going to hurt you, it’s just gross.

No, they won’t affect you, but they can make the bird weak. They’re tiny little bugs that would be crawling on it. Check under feathers if you can. They may crawl on your hand if it’s bad, but they’re not going to hurt you, it’s just gross.
Thanks so much for the help, I’ll check for mites in the morning!! Would you know what type of dove/pigeon she is? I’m in Australia

Thanks so much for the help, I’ll check for mites in the morning!! Would you know what type of dove/pigeon she is? I’m in Australia
I have no idea. Baby birds aren’t an area I know anything about honestly.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in! @nuthatched do you have any helpful advice?

How’s your little bird?
She’s doing okay I think, I tried to check her for mites but was unsuccessful, she wouldn’t let me. She kept flying at the door so I figured she misses being outside so I opened the door and she’s just sitting on our deck now, she isn’t flying away. If she does have mites will she infest the inside of our house? Can I give her a bath of some sort?

Back
Top Bottom