Rescued Baby Duck! Help

And does anybody like the name?
1f602.png
1f602.png

I love the name. But what is so funny is that you think your giving him back to that person who gave him to you! LOL.

Buy more ducklings and keep him! Ducks really are great fun and warm a persons heart.

Unfortunately we are actually not allowed to keep pets at my mums house, plus we don't actually have the proper equiptment to keep him. I think he might be unwell today. He is just really snuggly and sleeping lots and not jumping which is not like him. He is starting to grow some adult feathers!

Unfortunately we are actually not allowed to keep pets at my mums house, plus we don't actually have the proper equiptment to keep him. I think he might be unwell today. He is just really snuggly and sleeping lots and not jumping which is not like him. He is starting to grow some adult feathers!

Sleeping almost constantly and no energy does sound like he's not doing so well... what has he been eating?

Btw, he looks like a wood duck and those are known for not doing well as rescues...

Yes i thought he was and Australian wood duck! We have been giving him duck starter crushed and he eats and drinks a lot. He is in his brooder now cuddled up agaisnt the heat pack which he never does while in the brooder. He will still run after me when i let him out but definitely more tired. Constantly making little cheep cheep noises but not the long drawn out ones. Maybe he is eating to much because he has always got a full crop and poops a lot!

Last edited:
Well, usually the biggest issue is them not eating enough... how does his poops look? If they're constantly watery I might think it's cocci maybe...

Doesn't look like diarrhea at least... I've never had cocci in my ducks though, so not sure if it's different signs...

@Amiga or @Miss Lydia any thoughts on what might be wrong?

Oh and its always like preening is chest and under wings???

Now that I think I can answer! You said feathers were coming in, right? Pin feathers are super itchy coming in and they'll also itch off the fluff as the feathers come out... you might also start noticing grayish/whitish flakes like really bad dandruff after those preening sessions... that will be the feather sheath flaking off as they grow out too...

Back
Top Bottom