Rescued Bantam Rooster - Breed?

L0rraine

Crowing
15 Years
May 20, 2009
Whidbey Island
The neighbors saw this bantam rooster in vacant wooded acreage near us and thought it might be one of mine. It wasn’t, but I thought it needed rescuing from being coyote or owl dinner - and now here we are 😆.

He’s tiny - but what is he? - because he’s really cute.

5C69246D-708A-412A-BE06-61E10DB6DA05.jpeg
And now I’ve nowhere to put him. My bantam chickens tried to kill him. I wasn’t even going to give the English Orpingtons (with three roosters) a shot at him. So here he is in my rooster bachelor pad - and all seems peaceable. We’ve been watching for an hour (with evening cocktails 😆), but I worry I shouldn’t leave them overnight yet - maybe put him in a dog crate for the night?

470BEF00-3458-450E-8738-D7C583F3FFA1.jpeg

See how tiny he is compared to the other three? 😬

Not a good idea to place a small chicken with big ones, even if it's a rooster pad.

And yes he looks like a D'uccle.
That was my gut feeling. I’ll put him in a big dog crate tonight and work on constructing new housing tomorrow and hopefully find him suitable hen companions. (I do have housing in the works).

I did find it quite interesting tho’, how comfortably he seemed to settle in with the three big roosters.

That was my gut feeling. I’ll put him in a big dog crate tonight and work on constructing new housing tomorrow and hopefully find him suitable hen companions. (I do have housing in the works).

I did find it quite interesting tho’, how comfortably he seemed to settle in with the three big roosters.
You could keep him in the crate with the other roosters, and see how they get along. If they do, he could probably join the bachelor flock and be perfectly fine. It's just a matter of acclimating them all to each other.

You could keep him in the crate with the other roosters, and see how they get along. If they do, he could probably join the bachelor flock and be perfectly fine. It's just a matter of acclimating them all to each other.
This is such a dilemma for me, because they seem surprisingly contented with each other. My gut is that if at some point they are all on the roost together tonight before bed, I leave them that way. They are pretty close to the house and I’m a light sleeper, so if someone is getting picked on in the early morning hours, I can make a mad dash 😬😬😬. I mean if he were still in the woods, he’d be up against coyotes and owls. 😕

This is such a dilemma for me, because they seem surprisingly contented with each other. My gut is that if at some point they are all on the roost together tonight before bed, I leave them that way. They are pretty close to the house and I’m a light sleeper, so if someone is getting picked on in the early morning hours, I can make a mad dash 😬😬😬. I mean if he were still in the woods, he’d be up against coyotes and owls. 😕
Often when roosters are isolated from hens they get along just fine. The only concern is that he is a newbie to the flock. But it sounds like it might be worth the risk.

Back
Top Bottom