hihuckleberry

Chirping
Feb 24, 2018
Los Angeles
Hi! I’ve successfully kept my flock alive for 2 weeks, they’ve been ranging outside a few times a week and they love it! i have so many questions about sanitation, coop design, what exactly to feed, how to tell if they’re sick, how clean is “clean” when people say “keep coop clean”... also how to know the eggs are safe...the list goes on. Does anyone have suggestions for books or websites that have tons of detailed information? I have so much to learn and i want to make sure my chickens are happy and healthy! Any advice appreciated!!

I have about eight amazing books, but the number one is the chicken health handbook, 2nd addition, by Gail Damerow. I’ve found it extremely helpful and it helped me catch canker early and treat it quickly. It had tons of info and it’s a good idea to just sit down and thumb thru it so you get familiar with the general stuff and can diagnose. You can buy it on amazon, or at Southern States.
A457FD7E-955C-43EA-988B-9B2CA37E4546.jpeg

I have about eight amazing books, but the number one is the chicken health handbook, 2nd addition, by Gail Damerow. I’ve found it extremely helpful and it helped me catch canker early and treat it quickly. It had tons of info and it’s a good idea to just sit down and thumb thru it so you get familiar with the general stuff and can diagnose. You can buy it on amazon, or at Southern States.
View attachment 1282734
thank you! this is great! will order now :)

can i ask you a question? :)
this is all i know:
oyster shells, grit, clean run 1x a week, nesting box, keep water fresh. what are some other essential pieces of info??
I clean as often as necessary. Anytime it starts stinking, I'm cleaning. It changes throughout the year as to how often. Chickens are sensitive to ammonia smells and moldy bedding, both can cause respiratory problems.

I feed my chickens either an All Flock ration or a non medicated grower starter depending on whether I have chicks in my flocks or not. I keep a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs. Grit should always be available too.

Definitely fresh water, preferably every day. Some people like to add stuff to their water but I prefer my birds to get fresh water with no additives.

You will get lots of ways and opinions on keeping chickens, and you will develop a style that fits your birds and your lifestyle. No one way is right for everyone.

That's the appeal of chicken keeping, so many different ways, all can work. I recommend reading, reading, and more reading, than applying what makes sense to you, than tweaking things as necessary.

can i ask you a question? :)
this is all i know:
oyster shells, grit, clean run 1x a week, nesting box, keep water fresh. what are some other essential pieces of info??
That's pretty much the basics of chook keeping right there.
More information on your setup would be most helpful. How many birds, and what ages? Coop size? Run size? Climate?

I clean as often as necessary. Anytime it starts stinking, I'm cleaning. It changes throughout the year as to how often. Chickens are sensitive to ammonia smells and moldy bedding, both can cause respiratory problems.

I feed my chickens either an All Flock ration or a non medicated grower starter depending on whether I have chicks in my flocks or not. I keep a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs. Grit should always be available too.

Definitely fresh water, preferably every day. Some people like to add stuff to their water but prefer my birds to get fresh water with no additives.

You will get lots of ways and opinions on keeping chickens, and you will develop a style that fits your birds and your lifestyle. No one way is right for everyone.

That's the appeal of chicken keeping, so many different ways, all can work. I recommend reading, reading, and more reading, than applying what makes sense to you, than tweaking things as necessary.
X2. Bedding should not have a constant smell.

"Raising Chickens for Dummies" is a very good starter book. It's a little on the eyeroll-ish side with the warnings about how cold is too cold for chooks, but the rest is great. Plus, it's co-authored by our very own @Nifty-Chicken !

Back
Top Bottom