respiratory illness

the beginner

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 29, 2016
hi guy, my serama hen has trouble breathing this has been the case since she was a chick when we went to the vet they said it was respiratory illness I want to knoe how to cure it. when went to the vet they gave us medication it work but not very well what else can i use i dont want to spend 800 at the vets agin

hi guy, my serama hen has trouble breathing this has been the case since she was a chick when we went to the vet they said it was respiratory illness I want to knoe how to cure it. when went to the vet they gave us medication it work but not very well what else can i use i dont want to spend 800 at the vets agin
I'm sorry you are having trouble.

Can you tell us what medication the vet prescribed?

There are no "cures" for respiratory illness. The best you can do is give supportive care. Your vet most likely gave you an antibiotic, this will only help if there are any secondary infections. Since she hasn't responded to medication, then most likely she has a virus.

Make sure she is eating well and add some poultry vitamins to her water if you have them.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1135250/gasping-for-air#post_17601764
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1136457/trouble-breathing
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1136532/breathing-issue#post_17607818

Looking for advice. Yesterday I was out to refill my hens water dish. We have 6 Rhode Island reds. Only 5 came running over I figured the 6th was sitting on the eggs which she was. A few minutes later the 6th one came out (Dora) and
She looked hot had the gaping mouth breathing. Upon closet examination I noticed her crown was slightly darker then usual almost a tad purple. I brought her inside to look at her closer and get breathing became very labored. She had some drops of water but wouldn't open her mouth. I made her a cage in the garage with a nesting box and food and water. Went back to check a few hours later and she was more calm and the redness has returned to her crown but now she is wheezing. I also noticed her shake her head and clear fluid flew around. I suspect respiratory illness. What should I treat her with? Antibiotics? Thanks.

Also today she is eating and drinking a little and has normal poops in the nesting box I made for her. Thanks in advance.

I need some help too. Some of my girls are chilling in the coop kind of fluffed up and sad looking. However when I go to pick them up or offer them treats they go back to normal for a bit then hunker down again. It's starting to get cold out but most of the flock don't seem to be doing this.

Also, one of the normal acting ones has a runny nose with clear snot which she kept wiping on my sleeve.

I'm leaving the one people sized coop door open for ventilation but the humidity is still kinda high.
Also the current bag of feed had a moldy part, I threw out most of it but the remainder seemed fine and didn't smell like mold so I gave it to them. Was that a bad idea? Any advice to avoid further illness?

Last edited:
Looking for advice. Yesterday I was out to refill my hens water dish. We have 6 Rhode Island reds. Only 5 came running over I figured the 6th was sitting on the eggs which she was. A few minutes later the 6th one came out (Dora) and
She looked hot had the gaping mouth breathing. Upon closet examination I noticed her crown was slightly darker then usual almost a tad purple. I brought her inside to look at her closer and get breathing became very labored. She had some drops of water but wouldn't open her mouth. I made her a cage in the garage with a nesting box and food and water. Went back to check a few hours later and she was more calm and the redness has returned to her crown but now she is wheezing. I also noticed her shake her head and clear fluid flew around. I suspect respiratory illness. What should I treat her with? Antibiotics? Thanks.
Welcome to BYC. It would be best to start your own new thread at the top of this page to reduce confusion and you will get more personalized advice on your situation.
If you have photos or video those are always helpful. Listing any symptoms and treatments you are currently seeing and using will be valuable information as well.

Start your thread here:https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I need some help too. Some of my girls are chilling in the coop kind of fluffed up and sad looking. However when I go to pick them up or offer them treats they go back to normal for a bit then hunker down again. It's starting to get cold out but most of the flock don't seem to be doing this.

Also, one of the normal acting ones has a runny nose with clear snot which she kept wiping on my sleeve.

I'm leaving the one people sized coop door open for ventilation but the humidity is still kinda high.
Also the current bag of feed had a moldy part, I threw out most of it but the remainder seemed fine and didn't smell like mold so I gave it to them. Was that a bad idea? Any advice to avoid further illness?
It would be best to start your own new thread at the top of this page to reduce confusion and you will get more personalized advice on your situation.
If you have photos or video those are always helpful. Listing any symptoms and treatments you are currently seeing and using will be valuable information as well.

Start your thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Last edited:
Hi the vet gave me doxy vet a antibiyotic

How is she doing now?
Did the Doxyvet help at all?
What symptoms does she still exhibit - coughing, sneezing, wheezing, runny nose/eyes?
When does she have these symptoms - at a certain time of day, night, when she has eaten, etc.?
Is she eating and drinking?
Is she fairly active or lethargic?

Since your vet is the one who saw her, they can best answer your questions. You may want to contact them and ask about the symptoms you are seeing.
If she has a viral respiratory illness, the antibiotic will only treat any secondary bacterial infections that she may have. It won't cure illnesses caused by a virus. Most respiratory illnesses are contagious, so keep her separated and practice biosecurity.

Make sure she is eating and drinking well.

she is ok
it help only for a month
she sneezez when she eated her food it pellet but small form it like chips but smaller
normally when she has trouble breathing it when she eat or drink and when she held backward on my hand her back is own my hand
yes she eating and drinking
she is eating drinking
some times she weez and sneeezes when she sneezes is when she eats

by thw way my rooster lived with her for a whole 6 month and he fine so idont think it contatiou for her illnes

what is you advice the vet cost lots of money

Back
Top Bottom