Respiratory issue/EE hen

Doctor Pammie

Songster
7 Years
Jul 12, 2012
Piedmont area of Virginia
Hi, all. Discovered one hen with some respiratory distress. Aside from her breathing being labored and not quite clear, she looks and seems fine. We have been treating with Tylan 50 injections, but she's not improving. Her condition is mostly unchanged. Wondering what else I should try, if anything? Below are my answers. I apologize since I realize respiratory issues are not uncommon, but I've read so many threads and haven't found one quite like mine. We love this hen and hope to save her. Thanks in advance for any insight.
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Easter egger hen. 3 y/o. Maybe a bit light, but acceptable weight. No mites.
2) Slight rattle. Breathing can be labored. Comb great color. Eyes clear, nose clear--no bubbling. No shaking head.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Today is the 4th day.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Wild temperature swing? We went from a low of 31 to a high of 92 in about 36 hours.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Layer crumble, hard boiled egg. Yogurt. Her appetite seems OK. Not voracious, but still eating. Treating water with electrolytes and vitamins.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poop is not bloody, looks normal.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? So far 6 injections of Tylan 50 soluble in breast. 1st was 1cc. Since then 1/2cc. Injecting 2x/day. Alternating breast sides.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? No vet available.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Was in a large coop and free range situation. Now isolated in dog crate with wood shavings. Plenty of ventilation.

You can increase the Tylan and give it orally at 0.2-0.4 ml 3 times a day for 5 days. How old is she? Does she have any enlargement of her lower belly between the legs? Has there been any wet conditions that might have caused mold? Antibiotics may help with bacterial diseases, such as MG or coryza, but mold fungus aspergillosis,) and viruses such as infectious bronchitis and ILT will not. Here are some diseases including the ones above with symptoms and treatments:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

You can increase the Tylan and give it orally at 0.2-0.4 ml 3 times a day for 5 days. How old is she? Does she have any enlargement of her lower belly between the legs? Has there been any wet conditions that might have caused mold? Antibiotics may help with bacterial diseases, such as MG or coryza, but mold fungus aspergillosis,) and viruses such as infectious bronchitis and ILT will not. Here are some diseases including the ones above with symptoms and treatments:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you, Eggcessive. I had read your reply to someone else and had been to that link already. No wet conditions. No enlargement. She's 3 years old. We are 5 days out from me noticing her symptoms and separating her and no one else in the flock shows any signs of anything. I can't really find any of the descriptions that match since her only real issue is the slight rattling. No head shaking. No sneezing. No watery eyes. No nasal discharge. No swelling. I am just unsure as to what to do beyond what I already have. And wondering at what point I reintroduce her to the flock assuming that either she's not contagious or she was and everyone's already infected with whatever she has. I wouldn't describe her as "suffering," she's just not well. If we felt her condition was deteriorating or she were miserable, we would have no trouble culling her. But that's not the case right now. Thank you for your input. Does any of my additional information help?

Hens over 1.5 years can begin to have reproductive problems. Rattling in the throat could also be due to a crop problem if crop contents are coming back up. I would check her crop for emptying normally over night, and also feel of her lower belly for any swelling or fullness that might be related to internal laying. She sounds like she could go back with her flock since she isn’t sneezing or having eye or nasal drainage. Most are happier and eat better when among their flock.

Makes a lot of sense. I will check the crop and the belly again. Really haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary and we've held her multiple times. No foul odor from the mouth and nothing unusual about the abdomen. I appreciate your advice. Thank you very much.

I reread that link. The only think that seems fitting is aspergillosis, but we haven't really had wet weather. We did still have some tarps up inside the coop and we had one freak warm day, but we use tarps to cut the wind throughout the winter. If it is aspergillosis, is there any treatment? Clearly the tylan-50 isn't doing a thing. THE ONLY SYMPTOM is the rattly breathing. I feel so helpless. Her comb color and feather sheen is excellent. If you didn't hear her, you'd think she was healthy. *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom