Respiratory Issues, Please help :(

I believe both of my roosters are carriers. when I got them as baby chicks they had a respiratory problem. antibiotics I use just cure them temporarily. They have outbreaks now and then still. I have no other chickens so its not a problem. If you have a large flock, getting the others infected might be a huge concern

I just finished fighting off the same thing your flock has now. What I was recommended was to give the Tylan 50 orally and it worked just fine. I was worried about giving the shot and hurting them in the process so I did it orally and it was a god send. Tylan 50 works great! I gave 1/4 cc for bantams and 1/2 cc for large birds. For my sick birds I gave yogurt with chick starter or layer crumbles mixed in. It gives them calcium and protein in one go and you can make it liquidy so if you have to force feed it makes it a little easier. I hoped this helped some. I was really scared for my chickies but everything went just fine. Good luck to you and your flock!

Personally, I'd wait to give the Safeguard until you've finished with the antibiotics. Both deworming and using antibiotics can stress a bird out, and doing both at the same time will stress one out even more. I never deworm sick birds, unless I have a good reason to believe that the problem is a worm infestation.

Moistened chicken feed is often easier for sick birds to eat, so you could try moistening some. Even healthy birds love moistened feed usually. Sick birds may also like applesauce, yogurt (but don't give a lot-- too much dairy products can be harmful, as it gives a chicken too much calcium), scrambled eggs, and mealworms.

If she doesn't eat, you may need to think about tube feeding her. I've never done it myself, but several members on this forum do it routinely. Here are some helpful links:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...h-my-bird-pics-for-visuals-very-detailed-post
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/722041/how-to-t-feed-a-sick-chicken-and-give-subcutaneous-fluid

For more information on tube feeding, you could PM Casportpony. She has had a lot of experience with tube feeding, and has helped many members on this forum.
The reason I suggested SafeGuard (and at a huge dose) was to treat possible gapeworm, not just worms. Gapeworm is more of an emergency, even though it is probably a respiratory disease.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I have tried the moistened food before and my birds did not like it. That is why I tried cat food first.

I put a bowl of mixed wet feed and electrolytes on the floor and went to get a syringe to feed her with, and when I came back she was eating it. :)

I may go out to get equipment to tube feed sick birds tomorrow just so I have it. and in case she stops eating again. I have not contacted "Casportpony" yet, but I read some info on this site from advice she has given.

I will wait to give the Safeguard. She had been on the "Backyard chicken Zyfend a prior to all of this though. Do you think that will cause a problem? It is an herbal de wormer.

If you have a health food store nearby or can order it online, try getting an herbal TINCTURE of elecampane (also known as "elfwort" or by its scientific name Inula helenium).

I'm suggesting this because my entire flock had some horrific, wet, rattly respiratory disease. I lost several of my favorite birds and had tried every antibiotic, potion, lotion, etc. etc. etc. Then I remembered that I'd made a tincture of elecampane using roots I'd grown in my garden. It's supposedly fantastic for respiratory problems involving lots of mucous in the lungs. I gave it to my birds, and within 24 hours, all of the remaining sick birds were coughing up great gobs of phlegm (gross, but it made me happy!), eating, and perking back up. Within 48 hours, they were almost completely better. A bottle of it should cost you around $10-15 bucks. I gave my girls 5 drops orally every 5 hours. I had to put it in their mouths because they wouldn't take it in water.

Good luck!!

Interesting. I have never heard of elf wart before. I am snowed in again so i cant get it today, but i will go look for it tomorrow. Thank you

I have one bantam orpington that is having a lot of these same issues. I did 5 days of Tylan injections, 3 days of safeguard. I have seen some improvement, but not much. She doesn't act sick. Now she seems depressed, but it may be because she's stuck alone in a box. How long would I have to keep her separated?

That is a good question sepaditty1. I was planning on keeping her separated for a week after her symptoms clear up. But I do not know the standard procedure.

I also want to add that while her health is improving, she is starting to loose feathers. Which is weird because she just malted a couple of months ago.
Does any one on here know what may be the cause of this?

I'm not saying that your hen has this, but you might want to read this:

logo2.jpg

Poultry Production in Mississippi
Fungal diseases
Aspergillosis (Brooder Pneumonia)
Aspergillosis has been observed in almost all birds and animals, including man. The disease is observed in one of two forms; acute outbreaks with high morbidity and high mortality in young birds, and a chronic condition affecting adult birds. It is more of a problem in turkeys than in chickens.
The condition is caused by Aspergillus fumigatus, a mold or fungus-type organism. Occasionally other types of molds are involved. These organisms are present in the environment of all poultry. They grow readily on many substances such as litter, feed, rotten wood and other similar materials.
The bird comes in contact with the organisms through contaminated feed, litter or premises. The disease is not contagious and does not spread from one bird to another. Most healthy birds can withstand repeated exposure to these organisms. Inhalation of large amounts of the infectious form of the mold or reduced resistance of the bird apparently results in infection. In adult turkeys, the disease more often affects the male.
In the acute form in young birds, main symptoms are gasping, sleepiness, loss of appetite and sometimes convulsions and death. Occasionally the organism invades the brain, causing paralysis or other forms of nervous symptoms. The more chronic form in older birds usually results in loss of appetite, gasping or coughing and a rapid loss of body weight. Mortality is usually low and only a few birds are affected at one time.
The disease produces hard nodular areas in the lungs and an infection of the air sacs. Sometimes the air sac lesions are similar to those produced by infectious sinusitis or CRD. In some birds, colonies of mold growth can be seen on the air sac membranes.
Diagnosis is usually made from history, symptoms and lesions. It may be necessary to base diagnosis on microscopic lesions.
The disease can usually be prevented by avoiding moldy litter, feed or premises. There is no treatment for the affected flock. Cleaning and disinfecting the equipment is often helpful.​

Hmm...if that's what it is it's good to know it's not contagious. But I don't like the part about no treatment.

This morning Hershey was sounding bad again. Not sure what to do. My vet doesn't treat chickens.

Back
Top Bottom