Resulting color?

May 9, 2020
Clark County, KY
Have 2 hens setting and several of the eggs are by white Amber Star hens, ghe roosters are Buff Orpingtons.
In the past I’ve had some white leghorn hens with a Barred Rock rooster and the resulting chicks were pretty much white like the leghorn hens with maybe a random grey or black spot but very few of those.
Will the crossbreeding of the Amber Stars come into to play or will the white be a dominant color coming from the hens?

Have 2 hens setting and several of the eggs are by white Amber Star hens, ghe roosters are Buff Orpingtons.
In the past I’ve had some white leghorn hens with a Barred Rock rooster and the resulting chicks were pretty much white like the leghorn hens with maybe a random grey or black spot but very few of those.
Will the crossbreeding of the Amber Stars come into to play or will the white be a dominant color coming from the hens?
Based on what genetics I think are involved, I would expect sons to be colored about like their Amber Star mothers, and daughters to be buff or gold in color. For both males and females, some may have black in their tails and a few other places (similar to Light Brahma and Buff Brahma coloring), or they may not have any visible black.

Genetics explanation, in case someone else can spot flaws in my assumptions or my logic:

I am assuming the Amber Stars have Silver and Dominant White.

So this would be a cross of gold rooster/silver hen to give sexlink chicks (gold daughters, silver sons.)

If the Amber Stars have just one Dominant White gene, they will give that to half of their chicks (turns all black into white), and they will give their other chicks a gene that allows black to show in some areas. But I'm not sure what the Buff Orpington is going to contribute there, since Buff Orpingtons are supposed to be solid buff, with no black or white areas at all.

Back
Top Bottom