Do you have a retriever?

• Total voters
I have a question I've been wondering about and thought you guys here might be able to answer for me.

When two pure bred labs breed - Will the puppies only be one color or 2 or more different colors?
For the puppies to be different colors in the same litter - do the parents have to be different colors or can they be the same color - (for example yellow and yellow)?

I was just thinking about this and thought maybe you would have the answer @ShrekDawg???

I have a question I've been wondering about and thought you guys here might be able to answer for me.

When two pure bred labs breed - Will the puppies only be one color or 2 or more different colors?
For the puppies to be different colors in the same litter - do the parents have to be different colors or can they be the same color - (for example yellow and yellow)?

I was just thinking about this and thought maybe you would have the answer @ShrekDawg???
If a yellow and black lab breed, chocolate and yellow breed, or black and chocolate breed etc. The puppies will more than likely come out in both colors whether its just one puppy that comes out a different color.

If the parents are even the same color i have seen different color puppies come out.

But if you go through a ethical breeder that is breeding for a specific color, those colors have been in their breeding line for years so they dont usally have puppies come out a different color.

If a yellow and black lab breed, chocolate and yellow breed, or black and chocolate breed etc. The puppies will more than likely come out in both colors whether its just one puppy that comes out a different color.

If the parents are even the same color i have seen different color puppies come out.

But if you go through a ethical breeder that is breeding for a specific color, those colors have been in their breeding line for years so they dont usally have puppies come out a different color.
Thanks!

I started life with a Stanford golden called sabre, he was my best friend and brother when I was growing up 🥰
When I got married and moved to france we got a chocolate lab, mad a bag of frogs, amused all the neighbours with chasing voices in farmers fields, playing in muddy water when they watered trees and stealing plums when fruit picking started. Sadly died at 18 months of bladder cancer 😭 devastated.
Then came Lucie our golden girl. Used to get on her hind legs and pick the plums off the trees, well known for leaving steaming piles of plum stones in the garden. She died of liver cancer at 7 years. Seven wonderful years.

Now we have Benjamin, the locals say he is “beau mais avec un tête vide” - handsome but with an empty head. About right but adores his balls as you can see.
IMG_2725.jpeg
IMG_1467.jpeg

Last edited:
I started life with a Stanford golden called sabre, he was my best friend and brother when I was growing up 🥰
When I got married and moved to france we got a chocolate lab, mad a bag of frogs, amused all the neighbours with chasing voices in farmers fields, playing in muddy water when they watered trees and stealing plums when fruit picking started. Sadly died at 18 months of bladder cancer 😭 devastated.
Then came Lucie our golden girl. Used to get on her hind legs and pick the plums off the trees, well known for leaving steaming piles of plum stones in the garden. She died of liver cancer at 7 years. Seven wonderful years.
Now we have Benjamin, the locals say he is “beau mais avec un tête vide” - handsome but with an empty head. About right but adores his balls as you can see. We didn’t have him neutered.View attachment 3769263View attachment 3769264View attachment 3769265View attachment 3769263View attachment 3769264View attachment 3769265
Im very sorry for the losses of your two retrievers.
Benjamin is a very handsome boy!

Thank you ☺️
It was awful losing them both to cancer. We suspect the chemicals that the farmers use around us, but we have to blame something don’t we 🤷‍♀️
We have moved now and are surrounded by organic trees which only has the disadvantage that there is an interesting poo smell in the air when he fertilises his trees which drives our dogs nuts. 😂

Back
Top Bottom