Retrying introductions with bully coturnix- worth it?

swinva4

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2022
Hi all, long post alert. A few questions about quail temperament and if I need to be more patient or if a specific quail is just not going to work out. Some background: I had a Celadon roo and Pharaoh hen by themselves for about 2 weeks, before the farm sent a Celadon hen (the roo was a mistake). They were all about 6 weeks when they came. The first day or two of the original 2, roo tried to mount the hen, but quickly was put in his place. 2 times over the 2 weeks, I noticed a small bloody spot on the roo’s back and missing feathers. The hen wasn’t terribly aggressive but was obviously picking on him and even ate his feathers a few times. I don’t think this is nutritional, they are on Purina game bird layer feed that was recommended. She also quickly grew bigger than him, I am wondering if celadons are a little smaller.

When we got the new hen and all hell broke loose. I really thought since they have a ton of space, a sandbox, multiple feeders, and hiding spots (run is about 10ftx4ft and coop is about 4ftx4ft), as well as the fact that they are all pretty young, that they would be okay. Within a few hours of monitoring, the original hen had plucked at the new hen several times and had torn up the Roos poor butt. We separated her in a small dog crate inside the coop, and let the other 2 heal for several days. The roo was not super nice to the new hen but was not outright aggressive and did not harm her in any way. After some healing, we got a small pen, put it in a novel space, and introduced them later in a new area with the intention to clear out and rearrange the coop/run in case it went well. Within minutes, the original hen had pecked at both of their backs enough to draw blood. We ended up putting the small pen inside the run and putting the aggressive hen in their as her own home. The roo stays close to her and she calls for him and he comes running. I know the ratio of roo:hen isn’t correct and we are waiting on a local farm to be able to sell us a few 4-6 week old hens. When we get the new ones we plan to introduce them all in a neutral space. With that being said, my questions are:

1- the hens we are waiting on are jumbo browns, would it be doing a disservice to the new hen and the roo to have larger quail mixed in with them? I’m wondering if that’s why the pharaoh picks on them.
2- is it possible that with the right ratio, the aggressive hen might calm down and stop bullying?
3- if not, is it unkind to her to keep her in her solo pen during her life where she can still hear and see the others? See attached picture for setup.
4- any other words of advice?
8E916DF3-64C5-47B9-A8E7-1E999628160F.jpeg

You might try adding some more hiding places. They have plentof space and you're feeding them the right food. If she's still aggressive with more hiding places, O would cull.

You might try adding some more hiding places. They have plentof space and you're feeding them the right food. If she's still aggressive with more hiding places, O would cull.
Ugh, was hoping to avoid culling just because I very much see them as pets that provide eggs but I do have a neighbor that would if necessary. I will add more hiding places throughout the run!

Back
Top Bottom