reusing old materials for coop - is mold a problem?

Suechick

Songster
10 Years
Oct 27, 2009
Carlsbad, CA
Hi, I wanted to ask what you all think. I'm finishing my coop and recycling some old sheet goods that smell moldy, it's the kind of moldy smell that laundry gets when you leave a wet load in the machine for a few days and forget to take it out. (not that that's ever happened to anyone else but me.
hide.gif
) I can't smell it unless I'm right next to the wood and take a good sniff. Also, we live in a pretty dry climate so it won't be getting really wet and staying wet. Do you think it would be a problem to use that old wood to build the coop if I paint it with an enamel oil based paint to seal it? Or should I fork out the cash to buy new materials? Out budget is pretty tight and I'm looking for ways to minimize our cash burn, but I don't want to put our chickens at risk either. So, what do you think?

I'll bet you could spray it with bleach and water and then let it dry out. Isn't Carlsbad kind of in the desert? So you could put it out in the direct sun? If so, then you wouldn't need more than a cup of water to a gallon of bleach in a spray bottle, and the smell -- AND the mold -- would go away for good. Then if you paint it, it'll be pretty nice.
smile.png

Yes, Carlsbad is kind of a desert climate, we get an average of 9 to 11 inches of rain per year. Thanks for the bleach idea, i'll give it a go and see how it works.

For painting you can use Kilz to seal in any mold smells or discoloration after bleaching. Kilz seems expensive, but you can thin it way out for the first coat and it goes farther. The subsequent coats will spread better and not "drink up" into the wood as badly. That's for the solvent-based. I've never used their water based product. You can put color over Kilz, if plain white doesn't work for your final look.

If you can stand the mold smell, I'm sure your chickens won't mind either. As long as this wood is allowed to dry you don't have to worry about rot which would be my concern. Just make sure you put a good roof overhead so everything stays nice & dry.

...JP

Back
Top Bottom