Rhode island Red chicks.... any differences between males and females?!!

rbc-bow-chicka

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2014
Alright.... go ahead and laugh... because I am (at least a sad little chuckle)

I got a box of chicks from Murray Mcmurray this morning. Always thrilling.

In the box I have white rocks, dark cornish and Rhode island reds. I can figure out who's who in the zoo, generally.... but I've got 2 males and 3 females... 1 is not doing well... and I am afraid I am going to have to report a loss to them.

Is there some trick to help me figure out boys from girls with RIR?

Thanks.

Alright.... go ahead and laugh... because I am (at least a sad little chuckle)

I got a box of chicks from Murray Mcmurray this morning. Always thrilling.

In the box I have white rocks, dark cornish and Rhode island reds. I can figure out who's who in the zoo, generally.... but I've got 2 males and 3 females... 1 is not doing well... and I am afraid I am going to have to report a loss to them.

Is there some trick to help me figure out boys from girls with RIR?

Thanks.
Can you post pics of them ?

Can you post pics of them ?
Well, my little RIR has passed.... I didn't take a picture of him/her... or of the other chicks... I've kinda been in a funk about chickens today...otherwise I would. In looking at the remaining, 2 are smaller and 2 are bigger... the one that died seemed 'bigger' and if cockerals are smaller, then I will presume it was a female. Sorry I just couldn't get going on this. Thanks for your interest in helping. R.

Well, my little RIR has passed.... I didn't take a picture of him/her... or of the other chicks... I've kinda been in a funk about chickens today...otherwise I would. In looking at the remaining, 2 are smaller and 2 are bigger... the one that died seemed 'bigger' and if cockerals are smaller, then I will presume it was a female. Sorry I just couldn't get going on this. Thanks for your interest in helping. R.
I'm sorry for your loss. I can wait for pics!

I'm sorry for your loss. I can wait for pics!
Well sadly, we had one more pass overnight. They have all been running around....eating, drinking, pooping... so I can only presume it was a sleeping injury he sustained. And i say he.... because I had 4 left after the 1st died...and the 2 smaller were feathering in the same... and the 2 larger were feathering in completely differently... very long wing feathers... tail tuft starting. It was one of the smaller that died last night.... and I am just guessing it was male.

The rest of our day had gone up in smoke and at this point I doubt I will be snapping any pics of them until they are laying or crowing... so I should be good to go by then. Lol.

I appreciate the concern and interest in helping me out!

Well sadly, we had one more pass overnight. They have all been running around....eating, drinking, pooping... so I can only presume it was a sleeping injury he sustained. And i say he.... because I had 4 left after the 1st died...and the 2 smaller were feathering in the same... and the 2 larger were feathering in completely differently... very long wing feathers... tail tuft starting. It was one of the smaller that died last night.... and I am just guessing it was male.

The rest of our day had gone up in smoke and at this point I doubt I will be snapping any pics of them until they are laying or crowing... so I should be good to go by then. Lol.

I appreciate the concern and interest in helping me out!
So sorry that happened to you! Best of luck!

What do you mean sleep injury? Whats the temp of the brooder at night?
Sorry. I am just seeing this now.

I couldn't tell you what the brooder temp is. We use a brinsea ecoglow 1200 heat plate. One side is kept a little higher than the other, but they had a lot of room to spread out even with that.

The chicks seem to pile on top of each other to sleep and if one is too small or not as strong as the others, it might just be bottom man in the pile and not survive it. That's when I mean by a sleeping injury. I'm know there's a more technical term, but I just prefer mine.

Back
Top Bottom