Rhode Island Red - Hen or Rooster?

Barred4Life

Songster
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
I tried to find the details about gender identification of young RIR on here, but can't, so I had to start a thread. I'm really curious to know if the 2 RIR I got are pullet or cockerel? Or better yet if they are RIR or red sex link? The chicks are just under 3 weeks. Any feedback, guesses, photos of your 3 week old RIR's would be a great help.
One thing I can say is that they barely have a comb. And they have tail feathers, but just tiny (compared to my Barred Rocks).

Here is a picture of one of my RIR pullets at 3 weeks exactly.

And here are two pictures at 15ish days old

Last edited:
So my two reds have grown up a bit, so I thought I'd post some new pictures of their combs...it's definitly not a single comb, so I'm thinking their are not RIR (unless these are what 6 week old rosecomb look like?). Where I bought these chicks he did have Buckeye, so I'm wondering if he didn't mix the eggs up? From what I read Buckeyes have pea combs...I don't know what that looks like at a young age, so here they are. Any guesses or feedback would help me on my journey
big_smile.png

Also, what kind of combs do Production Reds have?

This little bugger (he or she...I just can't with these reds) is such a poser, loooooooves the camera
lau.gif

do you have a whole body shot and an age. I'm not a pro but what the heck i have raised a few reds form chicks and have also had some battery reds for production only. also what kind of personality does SHE have. from my experience rir are quite hens. production reds usually are kind of aggressive. rir get much larger then production reds. also rir are more of a mahogany red as production res are just red with no hints of dark mahogany color. rir also have a single comb.OK so its kind of hard to tell from the pictures but attitude will always tell the truth., i think.

do you have a whole body shot and an age. I'm not a pro but what the heck i have raised a few reds form chicks and have also had some battery reds for production only. also what kind of personality does SHE have. from my experience rir are quite hens. production reds usually are kind of aggressive. rir get much larger then production reds. also rir are more of a mahogany red as production res are just red with no hints of dark mahogany color. rir also have a single comb.OK so its kind of hard to tell from the pictures but attitude will always tell the truth., i think.
They are 7 weeks old. Personnality...well the reds are the most outgoing ones, not scared of anything (first to run out the coop door and explore outside, first to go over and visit our mature birds and get pecked at by the top hen, hehe, etc.), and the most curious I guess. And althought they are smaller then our Barred Rock chicks that are the same age, do not shy away from anything, will stand toe to toe with our biggest rooster. One is all red and the other is all red with greenish feather coming in around the neck and in the tail feathers.

The other chicks in backround respect the hen, little red goes right in there and steals her worm, haha.

This is the one with the green...but can't really tell from the picture.

Last edited:
the one in the picture with the tractor has a hen body but the one stilling the worm looks like a little rooster. as far as true or production i think you need to wait until they or a little older and start to get their body size.

Back
Top Bottom