Rhode Island Red x White Leghorn

I understood the cinnamon queen to be a cross of Rhode Island, red and Wyandotte
Yes, that's what makes a Cinnamon Queen.
And the other common Red Sexlinks have a variety of different mother breeds, usually brown-layers of one kind or another, and almost never White Leghorns.

The post you quoted was made back in 2011, so information on sexlinks may not have been as widely available or easy to find as it is now.

Yes, that's what makes a Cinnamon Queen.
And the other common Red Sexlinks have a variety of different mother breeds, usually brown-layers of one kind or another, and almost never White Leghorns.

The post you quoted was made back in 2011, so information on sexlinks may not have been as widely available or easy to find as it is now.
I have a new flock of Rhode Island red girls, I want to cross them for egg purposes. What could you recommend for a good rooster?

I have a new flock of Rhode Island red girls, I want to cross them for egg purposes. What could you recommend for a good rooster?
Rhode Island Red rooster could be good.
Any other good laying breed could also be good.
Males of any of the common sexlink layers could also be good.

With Rhode Island Red hens, you aren't going to get sex-linked chicks, no matter what kind of rooster you use. So it's just going to come down to what's available to you, and whether you have any preference about other traits.

Rhode Island Red rooster could be good.
Any other good laying breed could also be good.
Males of any of the common sexlink layers could also be good.

With Rhode Island Red hens, you aren't going to get sex-linked chicks, no matter what kind of rooster you use. So it's just going to come down to what's available to you, and whether you have any preference about other traits.
Thank you, yes, I just want something that will a lot of eggs lol. I have some Rhode Island Red and some Wyandotte pullets right now.

Thank you, yes, I just want something that will a lot of eggs lol. I have some Rhode Island Red and some Wyandotte pullets right now.
I loved my Leghorn hen and the crosses I bred. All were excellent layers so you might look into a Leghorn rooster maybe. Or an Easter Egger if you want cool egg colors. But their laying is kind of hit or miss. My Barred Rock and Delaware were both excellent layers too and friendly. Black Australorps are great layers too. Orpingtons are usually friendly if that matters to you. Not the best layers though but not bad. I would recommend any of those breeds.

I loved my Leghorn hen and the crosses I bred. All were excellent layers so you might look into a Leghorn rooster maybe. Or an Easter Egger if you want cool egg colors. But their laying is kind of hit or miss. My Barred Rock and Delaware were both excellent layers too and friendly. Black Australorps are great layers too. Orpingtons are usually friendly if that matters to you. Not the best layers though but not bad. I would recommend any of those breeds.
Yeah I’m going to have Rhode Island roosters, silver Wyandotte and Barred rocks to cross. Hopefully it will produce sex link Chicks.

Back
Top Bottom