Rhode Island Whites Wanted

Quote:
Rhode Island Whites? Thats like non-alcoholic beer.

I mean, why would you want that?

Last edited:
Quote:
How about White Plymouth Rocks, White Wyandottes or even Delawares?
You can get those readily and they are also pretty.

"If you don't have something nice to say, don't say nothing at all"

Rhode Island Whites are just as pretty, and a good dual purpose breed as well. They are also a heritage breed, on "Watch" status with the ALBC.
Today, the Rhode Island White chicken continues to have its followers and maintains a population of less than 3000 birds (2003 ALBC poultry census).

So, there are many reasons to want them. They are great layers, cold hardy, and beautiful. I love RIR, but RIW are next on my list!
Grampa with chickens has some nice looking RIW, and his prices are decent too! I'll be getting eggs, as soon as I have room. Here's his thread...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=139588
Some VERY good feedback on the 3rd page of that thread as well!​

Quote:
So, there are many reasons to want them. They are great layers, cold hardy, and beautiful. I love RIR, but RIW are next on my list!
Grampa with chickens has some nice looking RIW, and his prices are decent too! I'll be getting eggs, as soon as I have room. Here's his thread...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=139588
Some VERY good feedback on the 3rd page of that thread as well!

Okay, okay Crystal. I forget sometimes that people take this chicken stuff waaayyy serious.

I was more curious as to the reason behind WHITE Rhode Island Reds. I mean, they're "reds," right? Kind of an oxymoron, really, a white, red... I did some research and now I know. So thanks.
I still don't get the point, other than they exist and you can. But hey whatever makes you happy.
=================================================================
Ever heard of Jimmy Valvano? Here's something he said:

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives.
Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day.
Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought.
And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

Last edited:
By your reasoning, then, why do people have seramas? The eggs AND birds aren't big enough to eat. Or ornamental fowl? They're not usually good for production. I could just as easily question why you keep the breeds you do and point out the pros and cons of each breed... But I won't, because that's not polite.
People like all different colors of all different breeds. I do love the RIR, and yes the RIW is essentially the same thing, just a different color. But, some people like white birds more than red. Or some people want a variety of color in their flock. Your comment seemed rude. Maybe it could have been better worded.
CritterBazaar, I have seen pics of Grampas birds, on the thread I mentioned earlier, and they are very nice birds. He's asking a decent price for them too! You can find them on Ebay, ovabid, or eggbid but I honestly prefer to buy from people here!

Quote:
I don't know. I've often wondered that. I mean they're fancy, and all, but, well... thats it.
I'm more like you, than you think - I don't really care what a person does, as long as it aint illegal or immoral.

I could just as easily question why you keep the breeds you do and point out the pros and cons of each breed... But I won't, because that's not polite.

Well you could - and I woudn't mind. Im not terribly sensitive about such things. Sometimes, I think people are rather thinned skinned, a little too easy to get riled. SO anytime you want to poke alittle fun, just come my way, I'm always ready!
smile.png

The breeds I have kept? BO's, Rocks, A-Lorps, Scrubs. Now, none. Im revamping my chicken yard.​

Back
Top Bottom