Rhodey boy or girl please help?

bradronnie11

Chirping
Jun 15, 2015
Nottinghamshire
Hi I have three rhodies pure breeds. I thought I had two girls and one boy.
They are 7 weeks now
I can clearly tell one is a boy he's huge compared to my hen. His comb and waddle is red and large as are his legs. He puffs his feathers and stands like a man! Although he's beautifully tame and placid.
My hen is small littler legs tiny comb that is a slight pink and tinier head and body.
The one I'm stuck on is the one in the pic. I thought it was a girl but now he's different to my hen, but still no where near boy as my definite roo!
The comb is slightly bigger than the girls with more colour but nothing like my boy. His legs are thicker than hen but smaller than boy.
Arrggghhh !
I hope it is a hen as I hadn't planned on keeping the two boys!

It looks like a pullet. However there are some chickens that are a little tricky to sex. I had a welsumer cockerel that I thought was a pullet for awhile. Look at its neck feathers. Are they curved, or are they pointed and kinda shiny? Also its saddle feathers. By 7 weeks, if it is a cockerel, his rooster feathers should be beginning to grow in

Hi,

whilst i am certainly no expert, i would say that even the shape of the head and comb suggests a pullet. I have some chicks the same age, but thankfully the boys and girls are quite different in terms of wattle / comb development, tail feathers (boys are more untidy and splayed whereas the girls are neater and less splayed), combined with leg thickness and colouration (I'm English, hence the spelling). The are all the same size however and seem to enjoy play-fighting regardless of gender!

Based on my previous posts asking about gender, it seems it is far from an exact science but here's my thoughts.

Hi,

whilst i am certainly no expert, i would say that even the shape of the head and comb suggests a pullet. I have some chicks the same age, but thankfully the boys and girls are quite different in terms of wattle / comb development, tail feathers (boys are more untidy and splayed whereas the girls are neater and less splayed), combined with leg thickness and colouration (I'm English, hence the spelling). The are all the same size however and seem to enjoy play-fighting regardless of gender!

Based on my previous posts asking about gender, it seems it is far from an exact science but here's my thoughts.

Hey thanks for the info. I'm too English :)

Back
Top Bottom