Ringneck dove and pure whit dove hatchlings

Hollow Point

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 28, 2012
SW Louisiana
Last November my wife bought one ringneck dove and one pure white dove for the kids. I built a 8x8x8 pen and enclosed with hardware cloth wire. Since Spring they have hatched 5 eggs successfully, had 2 duds and are currently sitting on 2 more that should hatch any day now. I took two small rubber bands and wrapped the parents to identity them. My question is what kinds of problems I may encounter letting them pair off at will to hatch their own next year? They are all related by blood, just different hatch cycles. Just plan to raise enough to eat whenever desired. Do I need to be worried on inbreeding them at all?

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about inbreeding. People breed siblings quite often, just don't let the generation after the first generation of siblings pair off. I would let the current pair you have and their offspring mate, and eat everything that their offspring make :)

Yea I guess that's what I will do, once the flock gets big enough, some are going to make it to the pot. Funny thing happend with these last two eggs, one hatched Saturday and the doves kept knocking the hatchling out the nest yesterday. Wife placed it back in the nest four different times before dark. She took out the second egg figuring that's what they were actually trying to get out the nest and cracked it to find out it was rotten. Now neither dove will stay off the babie long.

Back
Top Bottom